cancer.... any one know if..

my hubbys uncle just had a tumor removed from his spine and it was cancerous. now he is on medication, going to start radiation and then chemotherapy. My hubbys family are a very hush hush family.. and his cousin (who is also my hubbys best friend) said that his parents won't tell him like anything. what ijust told you is all he knows.. but his parents know more.I'm guessing that this is not good news... but my question is if it was nothing and they though it was all gone they wouldn't go through radiation and then chemo would they?? isn't chemo for when they found cancer and its at a certain stage and they just want to get it?!

krazyash023

Asked by krazyash023 at 12:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Health

• Often patients do chemo and/or radiation even if all the cancer appears to have been removed and the lymph nodes look clean. It only takes one rogue cancer cell for it to spread, so in many cases it is prudent to get further treatment after surgery. My mom opted not to have chemo after she had a small bowel tumor successfully removed and her nodes all looked clean. Then a few months later they discovered metastatic cancer in her l iver that hadn't been there at the time of surgery. She died a year later. Before she died, she made me promise to get chemo and/or radiation if I am ever in her shoes. I hope that answered your question. Best of luck to you hubby's uncle. He and his family (including you and your hubby) are in my thoughts.
    BlueFrogMama

Answer by BlueFrogMama at 12:33 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• thanks thats good news!!! I appreciate it!!
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:34 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Yeah sometimes its just done as a precautionary measure to make sure it has not spread & not been detected. My grandpa had prostate cancer. He got it removed & had no other treatment. It spread to his bones. He had tumors on his spine and many other places. Since it was so far spread at that time there was nothing they could do so it quickly spread to his brain from his spine. It sounds like his uncle is doing a good thing by making sure its all gone. Good luck to him & your family.
    lisa89j

Answer by lisa89j at 2:36 PM on Dec. 2, 2008