If your dogs water dish is empty at night to do add more water or wait until morning

This is my first dog she is 6 months old and I don't want her to be thirsty but i also don't want her peeing in the middle of the night since she is not fully house broken. She can with until 7 am can't she?

alotleft2do

Asked by alotleft2do at 12:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Home & Garden

• Yes I think she can wait as long as she is getting enough during the day. Our puppy is almost 5 months old and he doesn't get water during the night but we are crate training him. It's recommended to be prompt at taking them out every 30 minutes after food/drink when you are trying to housebreak them. I would think whatever your pup drinks throughout the evening and as long as you take it out before bedtime and make sure it goes potty then it should be fine until the morning (depending on how early bedtime we are talking). Ours doesn't usually drink any water past 7 pm, we have outside playtime with him & the kiddos and he drinks and rests, then goes out to potty before "bedtime" which is around 8:00, sometimes he'll wake up & go out again around 10:30. If it is really hot then you should keep the dog hydrated anyway. good luck.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 12:49 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I meant do you add more...sorry
    alotleft2do

Comment by alotleft2do (original poster) at 12:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• yeah u add more animals have a insatiable thirst
    Kittty_Katt

Answer by Kittty_Katt at 12:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• she can wait until morning. I have had dogs all my life and 2 since being an adult. I feed them 2 times, morning and evening, if they don't eat when set out, put it away and she will get on a feeding schedule. When bedtime comes around and she has gone potty, you can pick up her water and give it to her in the morning. If you put her in a kennel at night they usually don't go to the bathroom where they eat or sleep. Hope that helps.
    ginybelle

Answer by ginybelle at 12:46 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• At 6 months and not fully housebroken honestly I'd wait. Make sure you give time for your dog to eat/drink before bed and to eliminate. 6 or 7 hrs at night is not going to harm the pup without water. Just make sure you give some asap in the morning. Just like you would with a small child you don't give a kid water throughout the night and expect them to hold it. The bladder is not fully mature and cannot hold it that long. If you do give water at night then you need to have a midnight potty break.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I wait....I don't want him pissing all over the house lol
    Lucky209

Answer by Lucky209 at 12:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2011