My body is exhausted, but my mind is running. How do I get sleep?

shynu

Asked by shynu at 12:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• Read a book or dull movie.
    SalemWitchChild

Answer by SalemWitchChild at 12:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If you like herbal tea, sleepy time or tension tamer works good. Don't take a hot shower or bath. Also 5-HTP works well if you don't take medication, check with your doctor first.
    ginybelle

Answer by ginybelle at 12:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• im in the same boat! i have so much going on right now. ugh. i hate it.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Me too. My mind will not shut up. And the worst part is knowing that I stress over nothing. Usually taking a Melatonin pill and reading anything helps me get to sleep.
    RachandKae

Answer by RachandKae at 12:58 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I just read that you should allow for at least an hour before bedtime with no computer or tv, and preferably more time ( I think it was an article in the Sunday weekly newspaper Parade) . I get the same way. i'm exhausted but can't sleep so I sit at the computer and all it does is make my mind go into more overtime and think of all that I have to remember for the week, month, etc; once I turn out lights or just keep the room dim, turn off the computer and take a warm shower I am more relaxed. You might also try more physical activity during the day or after dinner.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 1:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Warm milk with a splash of vanilla and a little sugar. No screens (phone, TV, computer, etc.) for about an hour before bed. Dim the lights to just what you need so that you don't trip over stuff. A warm (not hot) bath or shower. Maybe read a little, but nothing too exciting. Deep, slow breathing while you clear your mind.

It takes practice, but creating a bedtime routine for yourself (like you have for your kids) is also very good. Such a routine tells your brain that it's time for bed, and that will make it easier to go to sleep.
    May-20

Answer by May-20 at 8:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• warm milk works for me or chamomile tea.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Change your focus. Think about idle things like what you'd like to do for your next birthday or how green the grass was at the park. You have to let yourself drift.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2011