Depression?

My SD has been found to have depression. My DH and I have had concerns with this for a long time (he's been asking for almost 3 years to allow counseling, which is also when he asked to allow testing for ADHD, which finally happened in Sept...). Her doctor finally brought this up to BM (SD's mom) at an appointment last week, after speaking with DH.

My mom is a nurse in a pediatric mental health unit... And I told her this. She told me "You better watch out. All of the kids that come in here with Depression and ADHD are really bad off"... She said some of them cut, they try to commit suicide, etc...

Someone, anyone, PLEASE tell us what to look out for, what SD may/could do, etc. We like to be proactive in care, and I want to make sure that we look into stuff. Of course we will do actual research as well, but I'd like to hear from those who have dealt with it or know someone who has.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Depression is serious. I have it. She needs to see a psychiatrist and they will get her medicine. She also needs to see a therapist just to talk things out.

Depression is not only being sad. I was very very irritable. Got mad at things and couldn't tell you why. Very impatient. Every little sound annoyed me. I was VERY tired. Couldn't ever get up on time in the mornings. I was late to everything.

But I will say, I never cut myself or did anything suicidal. I ONLY thought about it once (VERY scary experience) because I took the medicine late and I was drinking as well. Never did that again. Stupid me. But yeah....there are different extremes of depression. It does NOT mean she is a mental case. Depressions is very very very common and definitely can be treated.

Don't treat her different bc you think she is mental.
    Keeely07

Answer by Keeely07 at 12:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Not saying you do just saying lol
    Keeely07

• I think your mom might have scared you & that's probably worse-case scenario that she is describing. I have 2 nieces who are both 13 and being treated for depression & 1 also treated for ADHD. They both have had violent episodes but directed more towards others/property than themselves. Meanwhile I do have another niece that is a cutter but she isn't on medication. I would just talk to her if you are close, let her know you are there for her and want to help her get through it; if not, keep in close contact with her doctor and keep track of medication she is taking, dosage, etc; and remind her to be aware of how she is feeling, if the medication is affecting her in anyway she thinks it shouldn't. One of my nieces was given wrong dosage info and she noticed right away that something just felt "off" so they called the doc and asked about the dosing and she corrected it. Good luck to all of you.
    oahoah

Answer by oahoah at 1:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I know how bad depression can be... I was diagnosed with PDD after YDD was born. I've gotten through it, and I know she can get through this over time as well. I think we are just worried about violence towards herself and/or to others. She has a newborn baby sister at her mom's house, and here she has 3 younger siblings aged 4 and under. We aren't close by, but she and DH, and she and I, are close, so I know we can help her through this. Plus, she will be with us for 6 weeks of summer, so we can help her then, as well.

I just want to know what could possibly happen, so that we can help to prevent it.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 1:07 AM on Apr. 19, 2011