Any kids with acid reflux

what were their symptoms and for how long before they were diagnosed?

They say my 3 yrold has this but she only threw up once and the doctor gave medicine for it. She isbeen sick forawhileand I am getting so frustrated!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Heartburn. Also called acid indigestion, heartburn is a burning pain or discomfort that can move up from your stomach to the middle of your abdomen and chest. The pain can also move into your throat. Despite its name, heartburn doesn't affect your heart.

Regurgitation. Another common symptom of acid reflux is regurgitation -- or the sensation of acid backing up into your throat or mouth. Regurgitation can produce a sour or bitter taste, and you may experience a "wet burp" or even vomit some contents of your stomach.

Dyspepsia. Many people with acid reflux disease also have a syndrome called dyspepsia. Dyspepsia is a general term for stomach discomfort. Symptoms of dyspepsia include:

Burping
    Nausea after eating
    Stomach fullness or bloating
    Upper abdominal pain and discomfort
    Symptoms of acid reflux may be a sign that stomach acid has inflamed your esophagus. When that happens, stomach acid can damage the lining
    aschwarz06

Answer by aschwarz06 at 11:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• we thought my ds had it but we put him on soy milk and now he's not spitting up anymore....try taking dairy out of her diet for a week or 2
    dreamangel06

Answer by dreamangel06 at 2:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son was diagnosed with it at about 3 weeks old. He was always spitting up. Well I guess I shouldn't say spitting up, it was more like everytime we gave him a bottle it was like a scene from the exorcist. He projectile vomited after every bottle. He was put on Zantac until he was 3, and we had to put him on a special formula for babies with sensitive stomachs, plus had to put rice cereal in every bottle so he could keep it down better. He is now almost 4 years old. He is off of the zantac and no longer vomits, unless he gets choked, but still has stomach problems, with diarrhea and constipation. My best advice is to ask that she be referred to a GI specialist who can maybe run tests and give a better diagnosis, and rule out any other issues (like obstuction). Good luck and I hope this helps
    naomigirl1984

Answer by naomigirl1984 at 4:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011