Whats the best way to get and give love to a man who has mommy issues?

The man that I am with has several of the characteristics of a man with mommy issues. He is not sympathetic at all, doesn't matter if I am sick, tired, upset, he is all of that plus one. He also has trouble showing affection and doesn't liket to touch or be touched. He rarely gives compliments or expresses how he feels about the relationship. I can tell that he secretly enjoys when I show him affection but he would never admit it. He constantly talks about himself and will have lenghthy conversations only when it has to do with his life or his interests. Anyway, bottom line is that I love this guy and I want to know the best way to counter whatever may have happened to him in the past that made him this way. I want him to feel comfortable with touch and showing affection, because that is my language of love and I need that from the relationship. Am I out of luck or simply asking too much of this guy? Help!!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 1:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Relationships

• My husband is the same way...
    Never knew it had anything to do with mommy issues though.

Therapy? That is the only thing I can think of.
    Chloesmom1126

Answer by Chloesmom1126 at 1:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What do you love about this guy? What's loveable about him? Selfish is very hard to adjust to or change
    adnilm

Answer by adnilm at 1:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sounds exactly like my H! I've been where you are. A man with mommy issues is a serious problem! He's not going to change. You can't change him! He may start looking to you to fulfill a substitute mommy role and not see you as an equal partner, speaking from my own experience. Why would anyone love someone who treats them that way? Bottom line, move on and don't let him waste one more minute of your life.
    snakes

Answer by snakes at 3:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Don't think marriage will change him, it just doesn't work like that? Is he a different man than what you fell in love with or has it always been like this?
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 8:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2011