Toddler help....... ugh

So I have a 3 year old and I thought things would get better (when he was 2) but it really hasn't. He is so much fun and sweet - don't get me wrong but I just have that stubborn headed indepedent kid or something. He has the hardest time listening to instructions. I mean the simplest. I have tried speaking to him one on one,looking in his eyes... I have been having him repeat me too now so really it proves he understands or hears me most of the time but he just is choosing not to. Any ideas on what's going on?

ohgoshism

Asked by ohgoshism at 1:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• He's being three. That's how a lot of them act. Sorry I can't be more helpful. I've raised five of them & yeah, they want to be "big" at that age & part of that is doing what they want rather then what you tell them.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 1:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• thank you lol
    ohgoshism

Comment by ohgoshism (original poster) at 1:58 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have a 3 year old and he tests me daily. He won't listen to me unless I put my "I am not playing " face on then he knows to follow what I said. Most of the time he acts this way close to nap time. After his nap he becomes a perfect listener go figure lol!!
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:05 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• lol.. wait until they reach 4.. tack on more inquisitive and button pushing... that's when they really start testing limits (and my patience)
    NoRest4theWickd

Answer by NoRest4theWickd at 7:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Choices work best with my 3 y/o. I give her 2 options whenever possible and she is definitely more compliant than when I have to give specific commands.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 8:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You might want to have a sticker reward chart too if he is into stickers. Just an idea..........
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have two 3 year olds, and they are both the same way. This is the age where they test Mommy's limits. My son is a little over the top when it comes to fits and deliberately not listening and I have found a reward system helps A LOT. I found a job chart at the dollar store that came with a dry erase marker where I wrote down the kids chores and it came with a second sheet where I wrote their names. I check off every chore that they finish and if they behave well enough for the day they get a sticker on the other chart. For every 5 stickers they collect, I will bring them to the dollar store and get them a little toy. For my 6 year old, for every 10 stickers she collects she gets to choose a restaurant she wants to go to with just her dad and I.
    IrishMomma727

Answer by IrishMomma727 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• aww I like your answers ladies thank you so much and I appreciate all the ideas and hope lol
    ohgoshism

Comment by ohgoshism (original poster) at 1:21 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I tried the reward system when I potty trained him but it didn't work with him....you know how everything only works for a little while.
    ohgoshism

Comment by ohgoshism (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Apr. 21, 2011