How do I teach a 2yr old patience?

buckbuckmeow

Asked by buckbuckmeow at 1:47 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i am way older than 2y/o and i am still learning!!! LOL My kids will probably have problems with patience too because monkey see, monkey do. if ya want to teach him patience...show him how to have patience. Children learn what they see. When you are in a situation that calls for patience...point out how you are handling it. A 2 year old is a tough age to teach this, or really anything to. I guess all i can say is...have patience!! LOL good luck
    MommasCooCoo

Answer by MommasCooCoo at 1:51 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• have patience yourself!
    pleonard

Answer by pleonard at 2:00 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• It takes one day at a time. Most adults don't have patience. :) I know..because I don't always have alot of it. Just take a day at a time and teach him his pleases and thank yous too..
    Adnil

Answer by Adnil at 2:02 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• By showing it yourself and by following through on promises.

Children have a hard time with the concept of "in a minute", "later", "after lunch". They want things NOW. Make sure you follow through if you say things like "we will go to the park later".
    kaycee14

Answer by kaycee14 at 4:06 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• Try to avoid phrases like "later" or "in a little bit"... try to say "after dinner" or "after you take a bath" instead. They need to be able to visualize what's coming next.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 6:04 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My mom used to help us understand time by saying it in units of something we could relate to. Like, we will be going in the time it takes for 2 Sesame Streets and 1 Mr. Rogers (Those were the only 2 shows we were really allowed to watch, from 4-5:30pm-I didnt grow up just watching TV :)).
    What does Ms Stella like that she can relate to that way?
    MrsLynch

Answer by MrsLynch at 6:33 AM on Jul. 11, 2008