Could my son be showing signs of mental illness?

Hello, My 13 month old son has been acting strange lately. He will throw these fits she will scream throw himself on the floor and shreak. Its out of know where too. I first though it was just an age thing but he will be calm and then all of a suden throw a fit.
I am chemically embalanced and so is his biofather. His biofather is very violent to the extream. MY biofather was Schzophrenic. So unfortunatly alot of this comes into my mind and is something I have to look out for.
For those who dont know what a chemical embalance can be,Ill explain mine. Ive gotten into DEEP depressions,thought of suicide,had violent episodes,when I was 15 I went through a phase of clawing up my arms hen having a violent episode while throwing and breaking things. I even got to a point where I had hoplessness,felt like a loser and all I could hear in my mind was loser. I had gone to a doctor when I was 19 and got on a great medication. I no longer feel that way and im getting an education and getting married soon. People with chemical embalances can live normal lives but it can be a living hell and a challenge sometimes. For me I had started late on things. I had my son when I was 18 and I had postpardom depression on top of all that.
Im just worried about my son,I wouldnt wish this on anyone its a nightmare you want to be someone else and wonder if you wernt you who would you be? what would your life be like? ect.
Im planning on taking him the doctor soon,my mom and fiance both suggested I do. I was just wondering if there were others on here who experinced this or anything.

thank you for your time,
Apple

samie-apple

Asked by samie-apple at 4:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• That behaviour alone is not a reason to suspect mental illness, Apple. I'm sorry to hear about your problems and the concerns with having relatives with mental problems, and you are certainly wise to be open to seeing symptoms in your baby. But a lot of kids this age get frustrated easily with things you may be completely unaware of, or he may be reacting to tummy pains, normal gas or abdominal discomfort from eating something new or something his body isn't really coping with digesting easily. Such pains can be sudden and seem to come out of nowhere. I have six kids and I would not be at all alarmed by that behaviour in a 13 month old.
    judimary

Answer by judimary at 5:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I agree, that behavior, alone, is not a reason to suspect mental illness. If there were other signs, then I would be worried. But by all means, if you have any concerns at all, go see his doctor for an evaluation. Better to be safe, than sorry. I wish you both all the best.
    knicole0708

Answer by knicole0708 at 7:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would find a wholistic doctor if possible & have your son checked for food and other allergies. Try to recall the circumstances just before the episodes, his environment (have you just been cleaning, has he eaten recently, been outside in the pollen,etc.). It's awfully early to diagnose mental illness, though I think it can be hard-wired from birth--my daughter is mildly bi-polar as am I & other members in our family. She was quite fussy as a baby and harder to settle than my son, though he was fussy, too. Hope this helps!
    MusherMaggie

Answer by MusherMaggie at 7:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Thank you for the advice everyone! I deeply appreciate it!
    samie-apple

Comment by samie-apple (original poster) at 12:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• WIth your family history, it is good that you are watching because the disorders you talked about can be passed from generation to generation. At your sons age, I wouldn't worry, but keep watching him so IF he develops a disorder you can get early intervention for him.

Answer by tyfry7496 at 8:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I think its great that you pay so much attention to looking for possible signs and trying to recognize if there is a problem your not.I wish you guys the best of luck! hugs mama!
    kimberlyinberea

Answer by kimberlyinberea at 2:04 PM on Apr. 21, 2011