My so needs stitches but is stubborn n wont get any...

My man was playing softball tonight and the ball hit his hand that did not have the glove on and it busted the stretchy part between his index finger and thumb. Its about an inch long. U can see little white liney tendony lookimg things in it. So since hes stubborn, I need to make sure he cleans it properly and dresses it right. Getting steri strips to put on it too. Question is what can occur if you do not get stitches when needed?

MomNbabyGirl009

Asked by MomNbabyGirl009 at 4:08 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• Super glue it after you clean it. Although stitches would be better.
    sydash11

Answer by sydash11 at 4:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My huband has done that twice. He just wrap it and clean it daliy. He is fine now but I would recommend stitches. My DH is stubborn too.
    momavanessa

Answer by momavanessa at 4:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• oh just a massive infection that could travel to his heart and kill him instantly, this happened to someone I know which started as a tooth ache! It is not a big deal though......even though I made it sound as such, As long as the wound is kept clean and allow air to get to it at times when he will not be doing much work with his hands.... it should be fine. Liquid stitch works great!
    truthteller0722

Answer by truthteller0722 at 4:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Well I would say he has a better chance of infection. Without stiches you're also looking at slower healing because it may open again and again. Particularly on the hand it can be a pain having to dress it over an over to keep it clean and stop it from bleeding. Also stitching prevents serious scaring. If those issues arent a concern he's made the right choice. Honestly in most cases an infection has to really be bad to be life threatening in my my opinion. He's a tough guy. ;)
    chgomom

Answer by chgomom at 5:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• tell him that if he doesn't get stitches that it could get worse and they may have to take drastic measures with it then
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 8:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It could be bad. The risk of infection increases, the longer it will take to heal, that sort of thing. At the end of the day though... he's the one that has to take care of it.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• UPDATE!!!

He went to work this morning and they told him he needs to get it taken care of ( he pulls car parts so it can get dirty) We went to urgent care & the dr said since it was past the 12 hours window for stitches its going to heal awkward. She made sure he could move his fingers normal (since you could clearly see his tendons it was a possibility he could torn them and lose movement somewhat). All was well with that.
    She said she could still do stitches BUT it would heal differently than if he would have gotten them right away, she also said she can just do steri-strips and it will heal the same way as stitches would and had a better chance of healing because the stitches would probably pull out now.

he got steri strips and she gave him stuff to dress it etc. All is well :)

(hes still dumb he didnt go sooner though :) )
    MomNbabyGirl009

Comment by MomNbabyGirl009 (original poster) at 9:17 PM on Apr. 19, 2011