Do you think teenagers should be held?

accountable for causing a car accident or should the parents be held responsible?

Christmaslver68

Asked by Christmaslver68 at 6:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Teenagers should be held accountable; their parents weren't the ones driving the car..
    NoRest4theWickd

Answer by NoRest4theWickd at 6:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• if the teenager is driving than they should be held accountable. Teenagers are individual, self thinking people and their parents should not accountable for their mistakes. All you can do is teach your children and hope they make the right choices. When I was a teen, I had a friend who got into a car accident at 17. He had been driving drunk and someone got hurt. His parents were told, by their lawyer, that they could not help him unless they wanted to lose their house and everything they owned because the person who got hurt could have sued them if they helped their son. It was a very painful life lesson although one that made this person who he is.

As parents we are not in the car with our teens all the time and again, while I hope mine makes the right decisions I am not always there to see what he is doing. So no I don't think parents should be held accountable.

Good Luck!
    cornflakegirl3

Answer by cornflakegirl3 at 6:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• the teenagers, because the kid took drivers ed and was able to get thier license.
    jenn4443

Answer by jenn4443 at 6:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I know we like to believe that parents can control everything a teenager does, but I don't believe they can.

At least in this case, the child is fairly old (at least 16) and has the training. They may not have fully-developed systems of risk-aversion and such, but we as society have decided they are safe to drive, and must take the consequences.
    Tracys2

Answer by Tracys2 at 7:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Teenager has a license insurance and was driving. How could the parents be held accountable?
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2011