Do native american males have facial hair?

me and my husband got on this topic the other day. if you look though pictures of history you don't see any with facial hair. and my husband has been to cherokee several times while he was growing up, and when he got to thinking about it he don't think they do.

just a random pop in the head kind of question.

oldfashionSAHM

Asked by oldfashionSAHM at 6:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Just for Fun

• ONLY WAY THEY WONT IS IF THEY HAVE SOME KIND OF HORMONE DISORGER
    mrs.chisolm

Answer by mrs.chisolm at 7:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• that's not true.. it could just be in there genes. that's like saying asian's are short due to a disorder when it's not true. it's just they way they are untill they have been around here for generations.
    oldfashionSAHM

Comment by oldfashionSAHM (original poster) at 7:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes but their facial hair grows much slower and comes in thinner. I googled :)
    Syphon

Answer by Syphon at 7:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Very little facial hair.. my dad is 100 percent Ojibway. I remember a picture where he had a mustache. I bet it took a long time to grow in. My brothers always used to try to grow mustaches and goatees. Not very much luck. :)
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Also native american females have very little body hair. I have never had to shave my legs.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:13 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Probably not many native men on here.. lol if any.
    Autumn07

Answer by Autumn07 at 7:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It is true that many Native Americans tend to have less facial or body hair than, say the average Caucasian. My kid's dad was about 7/8 Native American (Potawtomi, I think), and he only needed to shave about once a week. That always struck me as odd, because the men in my family are notorious for five o'clock shadow. My son is almost sixteen, and he hasn't yet started shaving so it seems like his dad's genes could be winning out. My daughter also has remarkably little hair on her legs, which all of her friends are jealous of.

It's important to remember though, that Native American is a very broad term that encompasses many different groups of people from the far north to the southern part of the American continents. These are all diverse groups with different traits, cultures, etc. so it's hard to make a blanket statement one way or the other but sparse facial hair does seem to be a trend across many tribes.
    lytate95

Answer by lytate95 at 7:19 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My ancestors would pluck the hair off their face.

Like others have said, they can grow it, they just don't grow as fast, as thick. because of culture many still remove the hair from their faces if they live on or near the reservation.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 7:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm a native American female, lol, and I don't have much hair on my body. Infact I can go 3-4 days before I even start to see stubble on my legs. My father doesn't have a beard because it grows in patchy and sparse.
    My husband is a hairy German that has to shave every morning and by 12 he has a 5 O clock shadow. I'm wondering which way our son will go LOL.
    Liamsmom09

Answer by Liamsmom09 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2011