• In the Spotlight:

Is the success rate of inducing higher the more dilated and effaced you are?

I am 40 weeks and 2 days along now and I have a doctors appointment tomorrow. He is wanting to schedule an induction. I am considering it if I am dilated and effaced (tomorrow will be the first time he has checked me) and I was just wondering that if I was already mostly effaced and dilated to at least a 3, will the risks that come with inducing be reduced? for example, failed induction, chances of a c-section. I hope this question made sense. I'm not sure how to word it. Thank you!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 12:44 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Pregnancy

• why do you want to do it now? IMO i think you should wait, you never know if the due date is correct or not. my daughter was 7 days late, and although i wanted her OUT, i knew it was better to wait, cuz you never know. as for your question, if you're at a 3, he may not even make a date, and just wait to see how it goes, cuz once you're at a 4 you're in active labor.
    armywife43

Answer by armywife43 at 12:47 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• It helps and your contractions probably won't be as bad. I was only 2 cm and not effaced when they induced me and I had a heck of a time. I almost had to have a c section.
    sbastille

Answer by sbastille at 12:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• i was a few days shy of 40 weeks and i was 4-5 centimeters and fully efaced and they induced labor a day later and i went in at 8 got induced about fifteen minutes later and my son at 350 am. which i started pushing 2 hours sooner.. but my sons head was pushing down instead of like just out... i had a bruised butt from him pusing down for two hours for at least a month!!! ugh but so yeah i think there is a bigger success rate because your body is already in "labor and getting ready" It was nice being induced i wouldn't change it.
    krazyash023

Answer by krazyash023 at 12:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I would definetely not get induced. Babies know when they are ready to come without doctors interventions. Interventions lead to the US's scary 33% C section rate. I was one of those 33%. I was induced when I was 3cm and had a hell of a time, ending up on the operating table. Inductions make contractions come stronger and harder which make most people get an epidural...right there you have lost control of your natural ability to birth and made it a medical event.
    hgibsonorc

Answer by hgibsonorc at 1:00 PM on Dec. 2, 2008