Once the kids are grown and out of the house and the time comes to retire, where would you most likely settle down and retire? Here in the United States or somewhere else like an island or another country?

Kat52971

Asked by Kat52971 at 8:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Travel

• I have 2 out of the house, 1 out next year, then only will have 2 home. I also have grandkids. I have no want or need to leave the area my kids and grandkids live in. We plan to retire here in town.

Answer by gemgem at 8:27 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My dream is to retire in a place like St Thomas or Australia. I have been in the US all my life and think I would want a new adventure at that time in my life. But who knows; only God knows where I will be to enjoy the quiet years of my life. I can still dream though.
    Kat52971

Comment by Kat52971 (original poster) at 8:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If I can't be near my grandchildren I would opt for the most tax friendly state. Some are better than others.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 8:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would spend 6 months here in the US, the other 6 in Europe.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 8:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I will retire in Miami Beach in a condo with a wrap around terrace facing the ocean.

Answer by older at 8:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I will become a hermit right here in my own home.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Hmmm... That's so hard! DH says he wants us to retire to the midwest on a BIG farm, but I'm not sure. I want to travel before I settle down, and I know I would miss this place if I move away for good.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 9:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• In the house that I'm sitting in right now. I love my house and the property it sits on. I never understood why people moved once they retired. If you didn't like where you lived, maybe you should have moved beforehand.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would love to retire in Hawaii. I will try to stay close to kids and grandkids though.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• DH wants us to retire to his farm. Whether we go there or stay in our current home, we'll be in Texas.
    jmpj8107

Answer by jmpj8107 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2011