Has anyone found a truly helpful solution for carpal tunnel syndrome while pregnant?

I have swollen hands (mostly hands, but sometimes feet) which obviously is normal at this time but the hands seem to stiffen throughout the night no matter what kind of sleeping position I attempt. I called my doctor and was told to consider either using the wrist guards or possibly to be referred to see someone in Orthopedics or consider accupuncture. I really do not want to do this but believe there is something else I can do at home, possibly some type of stretch, exercise, massage or eating certain foods which may help. Any thoughts?

stephkaye

Asked by stephkaye at 8:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pregnancy

• I bought a bowling brace and used that for mine (so much more support) and would rotate my wrists once it was off.
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 8:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I had the same thing. I used this warming/cooling gel called BioFreeze. It worked wonders! Just massage it into the affected areas when needed. You can get it at a drugstore.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 8:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Thanks for the suggestions. I have BioFreeze at home and have never used it for this (mostly just for shoulders or knots in places) so I will try this for now but consider the brace option if that doesn't do the trick. Thanks!
    stephkaye

Comment by stephkaye (original poster) at 8:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I agree with Kari727, that biofreeze is some good stuff.
    Dahis

Answer by Dahis at 8:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• with my last pregnancy i had this problem....my doctor gave me braces to wear at nite and during the day if needed...it goes away soon after baby is born
    mckeemama

Answer by mckeemama at 9:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have the same problem. BioFreeze soothes. I have been going to the chiropractor and been doing some yoga...All helps relieve the pressure on the nerves. I also wear the braces at night and try not to rest on my arms, which is difficult since we're suppose to sleep on our left side. And of course the occasional massage helps relax the muscles, and so, also relieves the pressure on the nerves. Good luck and I hope you'll feel better soon.
    newmoon423

Answer by newmoon423 at 9:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011