5 year old and cleaning up

Does any one have an idea how to go about cleaning up... I have done the taking the toys away and it matters for a bit then gone like that. I have tried things I know...
Mom's out there any idea's

claras_mommie

Asked by claras_mommie at 1:01 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Make it a daily thing. Mine clean their rooms directly after school, they have to stay in them until they are clean. Once in a while they poke around and don't get it done, but once they get in the habit and they do it every day, it only takes a few minutes. You might need to help them with organization so it's a job they can handle.
    riotgrrl

Answer by riotgrrl at 1:05 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Girl.. I have a funny story about that. My daughter was 4. I got mad at her and told her to stay in her room until I told her to come out. She went in her room and tore everything... and I mean drawers, clothes off hangers, and toys out. I couldn't control myself, I had to leave to keep from laughing. I told her I was taking a picture of the room and showing it to her dad when he got home.... which I did, and I still have those pictures and laugh at them! You never saw a 4 year old work so fast to get their room cleaned up...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:08 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• i have been dealing with this same issue, so when hes done playing with something i make him pick up right away, if he doesnt i not only take it away, i throw it away. it works for us.
    jbirchard

Answer by jbirchard at 1:17 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My 5 year old sin't aloowed to do anything with a dirty room so his room stays pretty clean. I remind him to clean it most mornings if he lets it slip.
    Pauline3283

Answer by Pauline3283 at 2:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• My 6 year old has always been an excellent cleaner upper...my 4 year old not so much.What actually works the best for us is 1) staying in there and constantly staying on them to pick up certain things. 2) Assigning certain jobs in the room...with 3 girls in charge of cleaning if we don't know who's in charge of what we don't know who actually did they're job and who didn't and 3) Taking away whatever is left on the floor after a set amount of time. I've never actually thrown the items away,but for example...my oldest wasn't putting her clothes in the dirty clothes basket so I started collecting them and from then on out for each article of clothing she put in the basket without havin to be told she was allowed to remove one of her garments from my plastic sack.

So instead of just giving them back after awhile I make them earn them back.
    munch12502

Answer by munch12502 at 3:35 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• If they don't clean up, then I clean up. Of course, MY idea of cleaning up is throwing everything away. They learned that lesson quick. No longer an issue.
    Anonymous

• I am with another poster, I have my daughter or whoever, clean up once they are done playing with "whatever". IF it is not cleaned up I CLEAN up and it IS thrown away! I have only ever had to throw something away once. EVERYTHING in our house has its place, and EVERYONE knows where that is!
    Maddiesmommy123

Answer by Maddiesmommy123 at 8:15 PM on Dec. 2, 2008