Is SCI (Stratford Career Institute) a joke?

I've been working/studying to complete my degree with them - but is anything worth telling people about? "I completed the _______ course at Stratford Career Institute?"

augsmom

Asked by augsmom at 8:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you Google it you will see some comments that the school is not accredited. And their own website does not talk about being accredited. Most employer want to see degrees from accredited schools. You might call some employers in the field you are studying and ask their opinion of the school. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:19 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Not worth your time at all. For profit schools are a bad way to go.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Stay away from for-profit schools. They exist, by law, to make money for their owners/shareholders; education is not their priority. When I was in HR, I did not interview candidates from the for-profit schools.

Start with a community college; they will likely have many classes on line and the credits will easily transfer to a state university.

Have a couple of informational interviews with people in your chosen field to help you determine whether or not this is the right career choice for you. Check to see if there are open jobs in this field, too.

Answer by rkoloms at 6:08 AM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I already bought into it just to kind of get more knowledge on it all (photography). I would have liked to add it to my resume...or my experience...but I don't see me using it to obtain a position because I already own my own photography business. I just wanted to be taken more serious with some kind of educational achievement. I have already attended community college and transferred to a four year school and majored in something that has nothing to do with where my life has taken me.

I've contacted the community college and asked them if any of my credits could carry back over and if there was a chance I could complete a photography program and get a degree from them - but no one has responded to me.

I was excited about SCI because it was pace yourself (but thus, the beginning part wasn't of interest to me...history...film, etc) and I've procrastinated A LOT. Finally got to the more interesting stuff. :)
    augsmom

Comment by augsmom (original poster) at 8:37 AM on Apr. 21, 2011