Do any of you get cold sores?

I have been getting them since I was 4. I get them on my lips. When I went through puberty it was horrible. I would get them where they would cover my whole mouth and once up the side of my face. They don't get that bad anymore but they can still be embarassing. I hate when I get them before a big holiday or when I do something fun.

Anyone else get them?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• My 5 year-old gets them :-(
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Poor baby:( I would never wish them on anyone.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I used to get them once a year or so. Then, they started happening more frequently. I rarely get them now, and when I do start to feel that little tingle, I load up on Vitamin C (about 1,000 mg. every hour for several hours) and I eat garlic (chop up one clove, let it sit for 5 minutes, then swallow whole with a glass of water ... do not chew). Vitamin C and garlic are natural antivirals and they stop the cold sore in its tracks and it never develops. No OTC or Rx product ever worked for me. I've heard Lysine (sp?) works really well but I have not tried it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I've tried vitamin C and Lysine but neither works for me. Actually it never fails if I have a glass of OJ I get a cold sore. Don't know why just do. I take an RX sometimes but haven't had to for a while.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My best friend gets them a lot and they are so painful for her. She uses Abreva. She says it is expensive, but it lasts a long time, and it works...so she thinks it is worth it.

Neither my LP or I get them, and this late in the game, I guess it is pretty unlikely that we will ever get the virus that causes them, but for couples spreading them back and forth it would be equally miserable!!!
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 9:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• no ne else in my family has ever got them and my DH and I have been together for 9 years and he doesn't have them either. I have taught my LO to kiss me on the cheek when I have one.

I have used abrevia before too. It works but can be messy.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I don't but they are pretty common.
    ethans_momma06

Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• no
    tazdvl

Answer by tazdvl at 11:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011