My son is 10 years old and has autism and he beats up on people what do I do

star816

Asked by star816 at 9:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Tweens (9-12)

• Is he beating up on them at school, at home? You put in place consequences, same as you would for a child without autism. My 13 yo has autism, limited verbal skills and he knows what happens when he makes "red choices". What matters to him, is he verbal?

Answer by missanc at 9:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Behavioral therapy and maybe medication. I am right there with you, my oldest autistic son put a hole in my wall. He's taking risperdal which does seem to help with the aggression. He also gets behavior therapy. Pick up the book Parent Survival Manual A Guide to Crisis Resolution in Autism and Related Developmental Disorders By Eric Schopler. Also feel free to PM if you want to vent.
    2autisticsmom

Answer by 2autisticsmom at 10:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son has autism and I treat him the same as his brothers-- the house rule is no hitting and if he hits he gets a consequence. Be firm and be consistent - and when giving the consequence remind him hitting is not allowed. My son does have anger issues he is on medication and also seeing a therapist-- and I think that is helping. The therapist is working with him and helping give him the tools to recognize the signs of getting angry, how to control himself and how to process his anger.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 1:41 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• I saw this couple on bringing home baby who's son was sweet as can be and the same as you described your son. And when they were asked what do they do to keep their child really calm they said they kept him on a constant schedule so he could know what to expect and when to expect it. They also keep a lot of major distractions from him like noises and such. I believe he was at least 3 years old. It seemed like it worked for him. So pray Be blessed love and hang in there. Jesus loves you and I do too.
    jenkinswife2011

Answer by jenkinswife2011 at 1:42 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• confront him and provide a punishment
    SweetlilQtMama

Answer by SweetlilQtMama at 11:07 PM on Apr. 21, 2011

• keep him away from the people hes beeting up on
    flipper4u21

Answer by flipper4u21 at 11:13 PM on Apr. 22, 2011

• get help
    GlitteribonMom

Answer by GlitteribonMom at 4:25 PM on Apr. 24, 2011

• Take him to counseling.
    jana741

Answer by jana741 at 11:55 AM on Apr. 27, 2011