Girl with autism - a wonderful & hopeful video - please watch if you have time, it's a tear jerker (in a happy way)

For so long, no one thought this young girl was able to communicate, until she was 11...she blew everyone out of the water...this video made me cry & helped me learn a few neat things about autism.

https://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=10150093480795995

samurai_chica

Asked by samurai_chica at 9:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• I saw this on Facebook. It taught me so much about my son and why he does the things he does. It also made me want to fight harder for a cure.
    trippyhippy

Answer by trippyhippy at 9:32 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• How great that they found a way to communicate. It's got to be difficult when you have no idea what information they are retaining and what they remember. Very inspirational.

QuinnMae

Answer by QuinnMae at 9:33 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Thank you!
    I love seeing these. I know how that dad feels hearing his daughter's "voice" for the 1st time

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 9:17 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Thanks for sharing. It's a great reminder to people that just because someone doesn't have a "voice" doesn't mean that they don't have something valuable to say.
    Kimedbs

Answer by Kimedbs at 10:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes, I seen that on FB. It's a wonderful story.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:07 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I saw this last year, and was so moved by it that I wrote a journal. I provided a link to it because in my journal is a link to the ABC story (in case there are those out there who don't have a FaceBook account and can't watch the video through the above link).

I'm fortunate that my daughter is verbal, but she has quirks that can fool one into thinking that she is lacking intellect.  She is a very bright little girl, who, at age seven, knows more about bugs, egg cycles, birds, and human anatomy than most adults--she just has a very unique way of expressing herself. 

Knowing children with special needs has opened my eye to so much, and I know that my life has been enriched because of it.

Thanks for posting this. 

jsbenkert

Answer by jsbenkert at 10:40 PM on Apr. 19, 2011