How do u convince your teenager they are heading down the wrong road!

How do U keep them from make mistakes that will mess up their future and cause them to be in danger?

johnsonbaby03

Asked by johnsonbaby03 at 9:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Depends... how old are they? If they're close to 18 there isn't a whole lot you can do
    Gremlyn1980

Answer by Gremlyn1980 at 9:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You talk their ear out and keep on doing this until it gets through.

Answer by older at 9:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Share personal stories of the mistakes you made when you were younger. Tell her specifically what you are worried about and let her know that you will always pick her up if she is in a bad situation.
    bloomsr

Answer by bloomsr at 9:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• you slam it into their heads & take rights away if they don't listen.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• In my personal experience there was nothing I could do or say that changed their mind. Just like I didn't listen to anyone else when I was their age. We all have to learn and discover life our own way and learn from our own mistakes.

meooma

Answer by meooma at 9:28 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I agree it depends on their age. We had to structure our youngest's schedule so we had total control of it to keep him on track when he was 13. It took about 6 months for him to be OK and handle things on his own. The older they get the harder it is to do this.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• He is 14 going on 15....I shared all my past experiences with him...its like he is in his own world and nothing I say or do will change it!
    I know when I was his age I didn't listen either, but I mean there are some things I can handle like small simple issues, but when it comes to bad company/gang....its killing me.
    I feel he is heading that way...I checked his FB profile which i made him unblock me from and saw things that I couldn't believe.
    He is such a handsome young man...and has potential to be someone in good position, but at this age friends, and girls are leading him astray.
    Its breaking me down! Its so frustrating!
    johnsonbaby03

Comment by johnsonbaby03 (original poster) at 9:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What's he doing, exactly?
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 10:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• its hard as a parent and at that age. my son was going down a path smoking weed and one time he did it the day before we were going to FL, he had a bad reaction to it, starting flipping out. from then on he didn't smoke anymore or hang out with those kids again. now its nothing but gf this and gf that. which i should be happy since he isn't into trouble. but you have to keep those lines of communication open. have talks if you can daily about what's going on with him, school, friends. and everyday tell him if there is something he wants to talk about to come talk to you and that you won't be mad at him if its bad. keep communicating,seriously.
    lucky35

Answer by lucky35 at 3:57 PM on Apr. 20, 2011