How long should i give this antibiotic to work?

I went to see my Dr yesterday because my bottom lip is swollen and painful.I had popped what i thought was a white head.Anyway it is now infected.She gave me an antibiotic called Clindamycin HCL 150 mg.Which i take 2 twice aday,10 day supply.I started last night and have just taken this mornings dose.I was just wondering if any of you knew how soon in general an antibiotic should start taking effect?I woke up with even more swelling in my lip this morning.And i'm just worried that i won't be able to eat or speak in the next few days if it does not work soon.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• i would say 3 days
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• you do need to finish the antibiotic though even if you do feel better
    shay1130

• 3-5 days
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I hope they made sure it wasn't a cold sore
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Give it a least a week.

Answer by older at 9:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sorry to hear it got infected. I would think by two or three days you should see some relief. Don't forget to take it all. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• 3-4 days. Take the whole does, if you don't...the infection on your lip could learn how to resist that type of antibiotic. Then when it comes back, antibiotics won't work. It;s VERY important that you finish the bottle.

Sounds like MRSA... or some kind of staff infection.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• DOSE, not DOES
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'd say 2 or 3 days but do make sure you're not allergic to the actual antibiotic (my dd is allergic to any of the "mycin" medications).
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I know for things like strep, they say the antibiotics start to really take effect in 48 hours. Hopefully the same can be said for what you're taking so you can get some relief. By day 3, the swelling should be reducing. If you aren't seeing a noticeable improvement in 5 days, go back to the doctor.
    Nonoluna

Answer by Nonoluna at 9:26 AM on Apr. 19, 2011