Should i let her

My dd is 6 and she wants to walk to the bus stop with her three other friends who are six and seven. They all walk to the bus stop without parents. We are not on a busy rode but thats not my fear she always stays on the sidewalk my fear is someone taking her. If i could see her from my house i might have given in but i can not is not even a minute walk maybe half a block. What do you think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:38 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• let them walk and walk behind them. they get to have their girly secret giggles and you know they are safe and can be there in a second if something is wrong
    zoejains_momma

Answer by zoejains_momma at 9:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i would let her walk with her friends, but i would probably walk far behind her & follow. That way, she can have her independence with her friends while she walks, but under a watchful eye.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't be comfortable with it if I couldn't see the bus stop. Why be stressed during that time and even wonder all day if she made it? Walk a certain distance to a spot where you can see the stop if you want to give her a little freedom, but trust your instincts.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I wouldnt let my 6 year old child walk herself yes there are other kids there but you just never know.
    okmommy08

Answer by okmommy08 at 9:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I wouldn't do it. Too much could happen and a 6 or 7 year would most likely not know how to handle a crisis. Explain to her you are happy to give her some freedom to hang with her friends at the bus stop and you can watch from 25 feet away or so. As my mama motto states "safety first!!!" :)
    wendydays

Answer by wendydays at 9:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My daughter is eight and walks to school with a group of kids between 7-10. The school is basically right behind our house. This is the first year I would have felt comfortbale with it. Now I would not let her walk to school on her own. But with THIS group of kids I am fine with it.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:43 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would not allow it. They could walk ahead of me, but not alone.
    khedy

Answer by khedy at 10:23 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My sons bus gets him in front of the door! BUT I have let him go to the stop alone ( before or service) since 6! I could se the stop from my window. Also we are in a militaryguarded neighborhood ( I feel very safe!)
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:15 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• That would be my fear too, that someone would take her. Look at Jaycee Dugard. :(

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would let her walk with her friends and you walk behind them a couple of feet, I used to walk with my daughter and her friend until i got her a cell phone and she calls me as soon as she got to the school
    ttk2

Answer by ttk2 at 3:56 PM on Apr. 20, 2011