Can I get a humane trap from the pound to catch a cat? It's either that or I kill it!

It's a stray and meows constantly. I woke up at 6am to this damn thing. My husband was cooking it chicken for heavens sakes! We can't even afford to feed our own kids right now and he's wasting chicken! This animal needs to go but it won't let me trap it in cardboard...I've tried.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:40 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pets

• You just signed its death certificate older. The pound is coming for it and I told them it was MINE so they kill it quickly.

________________________________________________________________________________________________

No you didn't. And if you did, then you are going to have to pay them money to take the cat...which isn't exactly a smart thing to do when you say you can't even afford to feed your family. They don't just come and pick up pets free of charge!
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:56 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I am sick of people like you also, who is always looking out for number one never giving a poor hungry animal a second thought. I am sure there are rescue places in your part of the woods, they come and get it too, but I assume that would be way too much trouble for someone who is so self centered, to even research for this.

Answer by older at 9:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Why would you actually kill it? Because you said it was "either that or I kill it." I don't know...that's a pretty clear death threat to me.

You can't blame the cat...blame the husband. Of course this kitty thinks that you are going to keep feeding it. Call the local Humane Society and ask if there is anything they can do to help. Although I'd come up with something better than "it meows." I don't hear any of our cats meow if they are outside.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 9:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• samurai, it is also cruel to have the shelter come and pick them up, they are killed before 24 hours are up.

Oh....older, The Humane Society that i called in Boston MA at the time, is a NO KILL shelter. The mom had her kittens there & she & all of them were adopted& they even allowed me to come there & visit & play with the kitties. Trust me, i did my research beforehand....you should now that not all shelters kill...
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• oh yea, they certainly have them. You can find humane traps at your drug store, or at a Home Depo/Lowes. You can also call the humane society, they'll come get him.

I once made a make-shift trap for a pregnant female cat in my neighborhood, i could not care for her because no cats were allowed in the apartment.

I made a big box, with a string....put a can of tuna under there, when she got under it....i pulled the string & it slammed closed. that was when i called the humane society & they came & got her.

Please don't kill the cat, that is cruel....
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Obviously your husband is a much better person with some compassion in him.

Answer by older at 9:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• "You just signed its death certificate older. The pound is coming for it and I told them it was MINE so they kill it quickly. "
    __________________________________________________________________________________________

Wow, that's a pretty sick thing to say OP.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 10:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• OP, older isn't the problem here. You didn't come here looking for help, you came here looking for someone to tell you it's ok to take out your frustration on an animal.

Call the shelter and see if the rent out traps ~ but don't expect them to do so for free. Rent means it will cost money. The same goes for buying one.

I'll give kudos to your DH, because he at least has the decency to feed the cat (and if you're really so darn worried about money and food, feed the cat the RAW scraps from the chicken that you would normally throw away). You however are part of the problem. It was a selfish uncaring human who let the cat out to roam and beg for food, and your attitude is no better. I understand that you're frustrated, but it is a human that is the cause of the problem ~ not the cat. From the sounds of it, this one would be better off euthed ... no one else would be able to feed it then starve it or otherwise abuse it.
    Farmlady09

Answer by Farmlady09 at 6:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What is humane about what you want to do?

Answer by older at 9:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Call them and find out
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 9:42 AM on Apr. 19, 2011