Cell phones and kids

At what age is a good age for a cell phone?

Do your kids have one? Are the responsible with it?

My daughter is 8 and does not have one. She wants one though. I told her she had to wait until she was at least 13.

Shaken1976

Asked by Shaken1976 at 9:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I've told my oldest that he'll need to be 12 or 13 and demonstrate a level of responsibility that will make me comfortable. He's 10 now and asks for a phone nearly daily. It's going to be a long couple of years.
    Dr.Donna

Answer by Dr.Donna at 9:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My 9 and 11 yo's both want one, but don't have one. Many of their friends do though, I've seen them texting/calling people. I think when they are going places without me, that they may need to call - around 12-13.

Answer by missanc at 10:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Our son is getting one for his birthday next month, he will be 5. We want him to have one before he starts school as we believe it's a safety issue.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 10:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i would say 13ish. when theyre in jr high and involved in many things so theyd have a way to get ahold of you.
    Jayseeka

Answer by Jayseeka at 11:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Mine is 12 and still asking for one. It varies when kids need one. When they are away from home more on sports or activities. Then will be a good time to get one. JMO.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 11:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My kids are almost 11, 9 1/2, 8 1/2 and 5 and none of them have any need for a cell phone. And they are allowed to roam all over the neighborhood. We've yet to see a reason to get them phones. When my son is at his friend's house across the neighborhood we send one of the other kids to go get him for dinner. If one of the kids is out playing we send another to go "find" them because we aren't sure which house they are at.
    Amazingly, none of their friends have phones either and they all have just as much freedom as my kids. I think there is one 12yo girl in the neighborhood with a phone and my dd's friend's 14yo cousin has one.
    My kids can have one when they are old enough to pay for it themselves. I survived my childhood without a phone (growing up in Chicago). Heck, my phone hasn't been charged in over a month. I never use it even when I go out.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 11:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• As a military family, a need for a phone for communication ( during military things) is nessacary. We have 5 kids and our oldest ha cell phone! It is a firefly safety phone, and he is VERY responsible! I make sure that my children are aware that if we provide them with something they are to care for it or los it for 1 year! ( high priced items) 1 week for anything else! I have no issues! Safety first!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 12:13 PM on Apr. 19, 2011