I feel so terrible!!!!!!!!

For the past 2 1/2 months my dd(4months old) has had 2 ear infection. I got this nagging feeling that she got another! She went to her 4 month check-up on the 4th of this month. I gave her antibiotics like I was suppose to. Is it possible for her to have another one so soon? I am going to call and make an doctor's appointment to see if I can get in today. Has anyone of you guys kids had these ear infections back-to-back?

babygirl0782

Asked by babygirl0782 at 9:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Kids' Health

• Yes, and when this happens more than likely they have tubes put in surgically bit she is too young for this yet. My first born was like this, and she has had problems with one of her ears as an adult too, so be very careful.

Answer by older at 9:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Has your daughter received the Prevnar vaccination? It prevents ear infections. My son got it at 2 months and has never had an ear infection ever. He is 4 now. I think it is given gradually in 4 doses. I recommend it. Speak to your Pediatrician. GL.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:48 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Did she finish the antibiotics? She could have an infection that is resistant to the antibiotics. That is why antibiotics are so bad for you, the more you take them...the less they work. Bacteria & infections literally learn how to by-pass antibiotics. they become resistant to them.

My DD's pediatrician said antibiotics is not the best way to get rid of ear infections anymore & that Dr.'s need to stop prescribing them so much. She will only prescribe that to my DD in an emergency.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yup, it happens, and usually that's when tubes are put into their ears
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Please please get her checked out. My friends just found out there son is deaf in one ear. He was fine until he had an ear infection that pretty much ate away his inner ear. He had tons of ear infections and the antibiotics the doc was giving him quit working.
    Shaken1976

Answer by Shaken1976 at 9:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• @samurai this last ear infection they had gave her different kind of antibiotics.
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 9:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• obviously, if the infection is severe...antibiotics are necessary. But, the problem is that most ear infections are because of a virus, not because of bacteria.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:53 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If children are prone to ear infections they will get them even if they've had the vaccine. That's what happened to my son. Did you get a lot of ear infections when you were younger? I did (and still do), so they can be genetic.
    TARARENEE

Answer by TARARENEE at 9:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• No. but my son did.
    babygirl0782

Comment by babygirl0782 (original poster) at 9:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If you nurse her, put some breastmilk in her ears. It has antibacterial properties and then some and can clear up an ear infection faster than most prescribed meds. Besides, if it isn't bacterial, those meds aren't going to help. And more meds is bad for her.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:37 AM on Apr. 19, 2011