Are animal lovers the reason why some people hate animals??Ok,sorry, change that to "don't WANT pets".

A question got me thinking...

I grew up in a house where the cats and dogs were treated like humans. If we looked at them sideways we'd get yelled at. When I grew up I decided I didn't want any animals - I have none.

I am reading questions on here where people need help getting rid of strays or rehoming strays and they are bashed!!!
Why should a person who honestly doesn't want a pet be bashed????

You animal lovers make me HATE animals even more. Do you realize what you're doing?!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:50 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pets

• I didn't see any "bashing" on that question. One poster got a little, er, straightfoward AFTER the OP spazzed out.

Sorry you feel that your upbringing made you not like pets. We are animal lovers here, and my daughters seem to be catching right on to it and enjoy our pets very much. Just like with EVERYTHING else in life, there are people who take it to extremes, but that shouldn't be cause for people to start disliking animals. Dislike the extremists, not the cause.
    vicesix

Answer by vicesix at 9:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Uh no, you hate animals because you choose to. Nobody makes you feel anything, that's by your choice. There is nothing wrong with people not wanting pets, it's like people not wanting children. What I can't stand is when people are all jazzed up about getting a cute little puppy or kitten and having NO idea how to raise one, for those cute little puppies and kitties turn into adult animals. Or when people get the "Breed of the year" not even bothering to research if that particular breed would fit their lifestyle.
    Zakysmommy

Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It's not us that are making you hate animals, it's yourself. Stop blaming others....

You have a choice & you made it. No one made it for you. I was raised with animal lovers & i am an animal lover...always will be.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 9:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• if you don't like animals then you don't like them. ..i'm sure you don't "hate" them, as you say you do. its just that you don't want them in your home.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i will admit i have come across a few stupid dogs that i dislike...kinda like people.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 9:58 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• No people who hate animals have no compassion for one who is in need, you don't have to have one if you don't like them but don't go out of your way to hurt one either. The more I know people the more I love animals.....

Answer by older at 10:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm not an animal lover but no one "made" me that way. I do despise, however, when an animal lover tries to change my mind but then again, it's no different than when someone tries to push their religion on me. To each his own is what I say.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You own your feelings- no one can 'make' you feel a certain way, that's all on you. As for not wanting to have a pet, that's your business and not mine.
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 10:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I am an animal lover. Have been my entire life. I view animals actually better than a view the average person. My feelings toward animals should not change yours. I do not make you hate animals, YOU make you hate animals. If my actions, the actions of a complete stranger, makes you hate something that you otherwise would love, well............

What about people who love kids? Or child advocates? Do they make you hate children?

If you are referring to the post that I believe you are, that person is getting "bashed" because of threatening kill a cat and then claimed she lied to officials so that they will kill the cat instead of giving it a rightful chance to find a home.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:10 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• "I am reading questions on here where people need help getting rid of strays or rehoming strays and they are bashed!!!
    Why should a person who honestly doesn't want a pet be bashed????"

If they are truly STRAYS then there's NO reason for them to be bashed. However, if these are family pets that they just want to kick to the curb then yes, it's pretty ignorant of them. They shouldn't have gotten the animal in the first place...or at least had a backup plan for the animal in case it didn't work out. I'm sorry you hate animals. That doesn't mean we all have to. I have quite a few, but they are not treated like humans.

Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:16 AM on Apr. 19, 2011