Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Any idea what this could be

I am going to make him a Dr. app asap just wanted to see if anyone had any ideas. My 13 almost 14 year old son has a hard nickle size lump undr his right nipple. He says it has been there for about 3 weeks and so far no pain from it. Any ideas what this could be?

Answer Question

Asked by J.P at 9:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

Level 6 (104 Credits)
Answers (8)
  • Sounds like a cyst if the surface of the skin is smooth. If it is red & raised, it may be a boil. If it's a cyst, it most likely can be drained.

    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 9:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • Yea, it's common. It's called gyneocomastia and it's common in boys going through puberty. My son had it, it went away. Here is a short article
    Pubertal Gynecomastia

    Gynecomastia is usually secondary to the normal hormonal imbalance that commonly occurs in boys during puberty and it affects up to 40% of adolescent boys by the age of 14. Boys suffering from Gynecomastia form breast tissue that is usually less than 4 centimeters in diameter. That breast tissue usually disappears, without treatment, within two years in most case, while in fewer cases it could take up to three years.

    Although Gynecomastia is common, if the child suffers from the disorder he should be evaluated by a doctor. It is important for you and the doctor to reassure the teenager that this is a normal occurance.


    Answer by Zakysmommy at 9:58 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • How do you drain it? Should we try or wait for a Dr. app?

    Comment by J.P (original poster) at 9:58 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • Thank you Zakysmommy

    Comment by J.P (original poster) at 10:00 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • My husband has a spot like that. He went to the doctor and was told it was a calcium deposit and that he should contact them if it changed, but as it is now, it is harmless.

    Answer by layh41407 at 10:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • If it is a simple cyst, it can be drained by a Doctor ONLY. I have breast cysts that are aggravated (grow bigger) if I drink too much Iced tea or caffeinated soda of all things. They often swell to the size of lemons and are painful. Just filled with fluid. I go to a Surgeon as needed & he drains them with a thin syringe. It's not painful to have them drained. Cysts are often hereditary in families and both men & women can have them. My sister does as well as my Aunt & uncle. GL. Please let us know what your Dr. advises. GL.


    Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 10:21 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • My son had a cyst of sorts on his jawline. It went away only to come back even bigger but now has been gone for a long time and went away all on it's own. The dentist and doctor couldn't figure it out at all!

    Answer by PrincessPeach06 at 11:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

  • Oh wow! I have no idea but am wishing yyou guys a good appt.

    Answer by ethans_momma06 at 3:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.