I think my son has adhd..

how would i get him tested to see if he does have it , before he starts school in aug..

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Call your pediatrician and ask. My daughter (7) has ADHD.
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 10:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Call his pediatrician and ask for a referral to a behavioral specialist because you think your son has ADHD.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:01 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

•  i am 27 and i have ADHD, ADD, ED and LD.....ED is emotionally disturbed and LD is a learning disability.... i was tested at a young age.. but what age i was tested at i couldn't tell you... my grandmother had me tested....  but i do agree with kari727, call your sons pediatrician and talk to her/him about the concerns that you have about your son. and they should point you in the right direction

tyner_brylee

Answer by tyner_brylee at 10:06 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Before you go jumping to conclusions that may put your child on meds for years or the rest of their life ask for a referral (if you need one) to see a behavioral specialist and simply ask that he be evaluated. Don't mention ADHD or ADD. Just see what they have to say. And even then, take it with a grain of salt. People and doctors are way too pill happy when it comes to kids.
    meandrphoto

Answer by meandrphoto at 10:07 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my odd has adhd & she takin meds 4 it an getin bettr grads now
    Schnizzle

Answer by Schnizzle at 10:15 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Okay, I'm coming from this as a "been there, done that" sort of thing. My SD was tested privately for ADHD. The school cannot render services until the SCHOOL tests her. They can/will take into consideration the results from private testing, but the school can't test until 6 months after the private testing (to ensure validity). So, if you want your child to get services in school, you need to request, in writing, that the school test him.
    laird6372

Answer by laird6372 at 10:29 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Start with your pediatrician. Talk to him. He'll tell you what to do.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would talk to your ped and maybe make some diet changes to see if that helps.
    buzymamaof3

Answer by buzymamaof3 at 4:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son is four and we bipassed the primary care doctor. We plan on going to a developmental pychiatrist soon. This way weccan be sure and the doctor specializes in this. We asked his therapist who she knows is our area that is the BEST. Best costs money. But it is in his best interest. My husband will take him so my views are not known intially. I'm a therapist and knowy four year old lives with it. His teachers do not believe in the dx - but my child is quickly making a believer out of them. He's sweet - just always moving to where he is a distraction to self and others. He meets just about every criteria. We are super patient and very good parents. But time for us to do something to help our child. We are trying tohold off for tge Sumer due to other therapy treatments but it won't go anothr year.
    frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 8:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm not trying to belittle your situation in any way, and you should definitely have him seen by his pedi, but there's one more thing you might want to consider trying to see if it helps in any way - not cures it, but helps. I was just so sure that my son had ADD or ADHD, but through a process of eliminating red and yellow dyes from the foods/drinks/candy/etc. He has become a completely different child! He is completely normal, until he consumes red dye (#40 is the WORST for him, but all red dyes do affect him) - then he goes off the wall. He cannot cognitively think, or operate, he can't sleep, he can't stop moving and acting out and tearing up stuff all around him, things he would not normally do. The three best ones to remove first to see if they make any difference in his diet is Red #40, and Yellow #5&6. Best of luck to you!
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 4:22 PM on Apr. 21, 2011