Can I put oil in my hair?

My hair is curly and very dry. I know people with textured hair put oil in it sometimes but I wasn't sure if that would make my hair too greasy.

r_elizabeth2290

Asked by r_elizabeth2290 at 10:07 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Beauty & Style

• Yes. I've heard of people using olive oil but I'm not sure. See if you can find the book "Curly Girl" or a curly hair internet forum. I know of a few but can't get the links right now.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 10:09 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I use coconut oil or jojoba oil. Just don't overdo it.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You need something like glass or a shine spray,, olive oil will begin to smell funny after a few hours,, go look at the Diva Curl website!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You can put a little olive oil in a cup. Put that cup in a slightly bigger cup. Fill the bigger cup with very hot water. This will heat the olive water without getting water in the olive oil. Wet your hair in the shower. Put the oil on. Comb through. Leave on for 5 minutes. Wash hair with shampoo and condition. This makes your hair really nice.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 10:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• use coconut oil and leave in for 10 mins
    MarGeee

Answer by MarGeee at 10:36 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Once a month I do a hot oil treatment. I think Alberto VO5 makes one, but you can use warm Olive oil or sesame seed oil. warm it up wrap a towel over and sit for about 20 min, you can also use a blowdryer, then wash and rinse very well. Try putting a little on your fingers when styling just to tame the frizzies.
    luvschocolate

Answer by luvschocolate at 11:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i us coconut oil all the tim but i don leev it in my hare i jus washit out
    Schnizzle

Answer by Schnizzle at 11:45 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• there is a serum called coconut milk that you can get from walmart. Its similar to oil. Putting a little bit through your hair while its wet, espescially at the ends, helps alot. And if you can afford it, get sleek and shine shampoo and conditioner by matrix. Works wonders. The coconut milk is like 6 bucks and you can usually get a big shampoo/conditioner set of sleek n shine at the walmart style shops for around 30 bucks and they last me for a month and my air is to my waist. Hope that helps.
    Dream9703

Answer by Dream9703 at 3:47 PM on Apr. 19, 2011