Trying to get pregnant and already having a 2 year old, will it take attention away from my daughter?

My husband and I have been considering having another baby. We have a daughter who is almost 2 and NEVER leaves my side. My main concern is that even though she will be about 3 or older when we have our second, that she will feel left out or that too much attention will be taken off her while caring for the new baby. I wanted to wait until she was 3-4 to start trying so she will be old enough to enjoy it and be part of it with us, but my husband keeps mentioning having one and so does everyone else, so now its got me thinking, but I just cannot decide. Will having another make our daughter feel left out or is 3 an okay age for her to feel like the big sister and understand it a little bit. Any thoughts?? I just feel like she is my everything now, sleeps with us and everything and that with a new baby she will feel left out and I wont be able to give her the same amount of attention that I do now.

asholan_07

Asked by asholan_07 at 1:18 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Honestly? Yes - but that's ok.

Listen, adding a new family member WILL change the dynamic. Your daughter will have moments where she feels she's no longer getting enough attention - that's going to happen no matter when you introduce a new baby. On the flip side, adding a new sibling can be a fantastic experience for a young child. My son was 2 yrs old when my DD was born. Sometimes he's not thrilled with a sister. Sometimes they're at each others throats. BUT, mostly, they adore one another and they are the best of friends. They are now 6 and 4. They play nicely together. They support one another. They care for one another. It's really a neat thing to watch.

You can prepare your daughter by allowing her to be apart of the preparation. There's a lot you can do to help her get ready. Sure, there will still be moments of jealousy but again age has nothing to do with that. really.
    ldmrmom

Answer by ldmrmom at 2:52 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Ok first why dose a three year old sleep with you? You have started something really bad it is bad for your DAUGHTER. So I think that your first step is to get your little girl in her own bed in her own room. Yes you do need to think about the kids that you have before you have more your little girl is used to it just being about her and there are ways that you can make a big deal out of having a new baby and help your daughter to be ok with it.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 1:41 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• The best way to do that is to let your daughter be a part of it tells her that mom and dad are going to have new baby and see how she fills about it. Get her involved with getting things ready to have a baby. Let her pick put the paint for the babies room or let her pick out the them. Then when the baby gets here let your daughter help you with the baby. You can make this something that is a great thing for your family and a wonderful thing for your daughter you just have to let her be a part of it and don’t keep the new baby away from her yes watch your kids but let her hold the baby and help dress him or her you get the point make her a big part of the decision and the choice that you make good luck and god bless
    kristyleigh614