Relocating Mice

We live in the country and heat our house using propane and so we have a big 'ol propane tank at the far end of our property. There's a cap thing that you lift up to see how much propane you have left and we keep finding a mouse nest in there. We are very gentle in clearing it out to where they run about and scatter and then we try to plug up the hole in the cap where these big thick cords come out.

Anyway, is there anything we can do to relocate these mice HUMANELY? We don't care that they are there, but we wouldn't put it past the propane people to just smash the nest...and them too. I've thought about building a little mouse house and sit it beside of the propane tank hoping they would build their next nest in there instead, but not sure if they would have interest.

Any advice?

AllAboutKeeley

Asked by AllAboutKeeley at 10:22 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pets

• I think the mouse house is a nice idea. :) maybe if you put in some of that fluffy bedding they sell in pet stores inside they'll be more attracted to it.
    MamaStuart

Answer by MamaStuart at 7:42 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Keely they will find a new home,, just plug up the hole so they can't get back in there! Mice are cute, but carry lots of disease, so try not to mess with them too much!
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:24 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• lol. You are new to the country perhaps?
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 10:30 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i would put them in a box, drive far-far away & let them go.

If you place some crinkles tin foil where they are getting in, they'll stop. they won't chew through tin foil, it feels like crap on their teeth. It has to be like a ball of tin foil covered with whatever you sealed the hole up with. They will not chew through tin foil.
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:41 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• We have tried to plug it up, but the way it is set up, it's impossible to do it to where their little bodies can't somehow squeeze in.

Nope...Been a country girl all my life and have lived at this house for 9 years now. I don't understand how that would make a difference.

I don't mind the mice. Live and let live. They are far enough away from our house and if they get any closer, our outside cats will make a meal of them. And if they happen to get in the house, well, we have enough pets to take care of them very quickly. So I won't take them away. But I do like your idea of tin foil.
    AllAboutKeeley

Comment by AllAboutKeeley (original poster) at 10:44 AM on Apr. 19, 2011