Ringworms in puppies!

I got my puppy April 1st. She went to the vet April 16th for her second set of shots and to have a bald patch on her leg looked at. When we got her she had one bald patch on her leg. I didnt notice it till we brought her home. Anyway the vet examined her and told me she has ringworms. She has about 6 or 7 small ones on her belly I never noticed. She gave us a liquid medication to put on the ringworm spots (put it on once a day everyday) and some shampoo (bath her in it twice a week and let it set on her fur and skin for 15 minutes before I rinse it) I am supposed to do this for 4-6 weeks. Is it going to take that long for the ringworms to go away? Some look to be getting better while some are still looking pretty bad. She goes back to the vet May 7th for her 3rd set of shots and I am sure they will examine her ringworms. Anyone ever deal with ringworms in dogs or puppies?
Oh and if it matters she is 9.5 weeks old and an American Bulldog.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Pets

• I've never dealt with ringworms in puppies, but AWWWWW! We have an American Bulldog and got him at 11 months, so we missed his cute puppy face :( I bet she's a doll!
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It will take a few week, and just so you know, you can catch them! Please wash your hands EVERYtime you pet the dog!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• These dogs have a reputation for having skin conditions too, she will be ok.

Answer by older at 10:34 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I worked in a vet hospital for 8 years. Ringworm is nasty and CONTAGIOUS to humans! It will take a long time for it to go away, even with medication. Make sure everyone who touches her washes up really well!!
    Kari727

Answer by Kari727 at 10:35 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Ringworm can be a pain in the butt especially if there is more then one lesion. Thankfully, none of my animals have ever had it but I worked at a vets office for 13 years and have seen it many times. Just keep treating the puppy. Make sure you wash your hands well, even dip them in bleach when you are done handling the pup. I would also change your clothes

KyliesMom5

Answer by KyliesMom5 at 10:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• So sorry! Glad that you are taking steps to make it better. Keep it up, the baths will help! Some of the spots can be trickier than others. i know it can be a pain, but is well worth it! Good luck!
    samurai_chica

Answer by samurai_chica at 10:39 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I was told it was contagious, so far non of us has any signs of ringworm. My older dog (boxer) does look like she has 2 very small ones on her stomach. I am treating her also. The medicine I have is supposed to last 4-6 weeks but I just don't see it lasting that long. This is stressfull. I have never had a dog with ringworms. My daughter had a ringworm when she was 7 months old. The doctor gave me some cream and it went away in 2-3 days. This really sucks but I love my pup! i really hope the vet sees improvement int them May 7th.
    I do always wash my hands when I am done, I do not lot my kids mess with her. The pup has her on blanket and we do keep her put up at night. I also keep her and my boxer seperated as best as I can. They really like each other and will hide under my bed together so it is a hassle. Thanks for all the advice!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 12:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Just do it as long as the vet says. It should end it all. By that time.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 2:05 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have never dealt with ring worms in animals, but here are a few things that you might be able to use on the ring worms, The list goes like this, garlic/onion, lemon, lime, nuts, tea, tropical fruit, and vinegar. You could probably dilute the vinegar with some water and maybe spray in on the ringworms. I wouldn't use the garlic/onion on her. You could use lemon juice or lime juice on her.
    stitchintime

Answer by stitchintime at 11:18 PM on Apr. 21, 2011