At what age are cellphones a good idea

at what age should kids get a phone and what kind of a plan should they have? i know now they have cells at age 11-13 and hen i was 13 i was lucky to have a pager! i dont know if anyone other than medical staff carry pagers anymore

aschwarz06

Asked by aschwarz06 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Parenting Debate

• Depends on the kid and the reasoning for the phone. My son had a phone at 10. Unlimited text and only mobile to mobile. He never overused it. Never lost it. Had no issues. Called me when needed. At 15, he still has the same plan. He is STILL great with it. No issues ever.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 10:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I got one when I started driving at 16 so I could check in and let momma know I made it okay :) I think that's a good idea. But my parents also sent me with thier cell when I had away basketball games and such so I could call her if we were running late getting back so she wouldn't be sitting waiting in the parking lot for hours. So these days, I think 7-8 grade is appriopriate.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 10:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• It varies. When mine are away more for sports or other activities, then they will get one. My oldest is twelve and still asking for one. I don't understand the point of kids getting one when they are with their parents all the time.
    arenad

Answer by arenad at 10:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Well I would give my kid a phone to use anytime they were going to be away from me,, as far as texting,, talking to friends, I would say use the home phone, or pay for it yourself! I think all of this texting/picture stuff is silly!
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 10:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i go tmine whe i was 16 and started driving exactly for the reason of calling parents. i had a pager when i was in 6-7th grade so when i was out mom could reach me an di had to stop what i was doing and find a pay phone if i wasnt near a phone
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 10:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I think it should more depend on the need for one than the age. DD is 5yo and, although she is involved in extracurricular activities, I'm always there. There will be a time when I'm not always there and she'll need to have a way to let me know of changed plans or when to get her or just whenever. When that time comes, she'll get a cell.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 10:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• My son is getting one for his birthday in May, he will be 5. I think all kids should have them once they are going to be away from you for the better part of the day. In case of an emergency they need to be able to contact you.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 11:03 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• When they have a job and can PAY for them their selves.
    vbruno

Answer by vbruno at 11:04 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I gave my kid a phone @ the age of 10 ,she was doing afterschool sports and the ending times were not always the same. And I did not want her standing out waiting. She has limited min. And text. This way u can see if its used for getting ahold. Of u or just playing games. So let your child know its for getting a hold of u and not passing the # ALL AROUND
    rwcmom771

Answer by rwcmom771 at 11:12 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• 5!!!!!! thats rediculous. it will get lost or broken. the only place a 5 year old should b e going without you is to school and the school will contact you. kids arnt even allowed to use personal phones at school
    aschwarz06

Comment by aschwarz06 (original poster) at 11:20 AM on Apr. 19, 2011