How long did it take for you lil one to start going to potty on there own?

We just started potty training last week. I take him every 15-30 min. whether he needs to or wants to and usually he goes pee everytime. Just wondering how long it usually takes an average 2 year old. I know it will vary from child to child. But just wondering a time frame possibly?

leann74016

Asked by leann74016 at 10:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Mine can't get on the toilet by herself even with a stool for help. She is just short. She has been self training for just over 2 mos. I ask her if she is dry ALL the time, as well as if she needs to go potty. Depending on her answer I will take her, sometimes she tells me she has to go, otherwise I take her 1 1/2 hours after she gets up and every hour after that. BTW she is telling us more often that she needs to go.
    coala

Answer by coala at 10:57 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my 2 oldest took 2 months to be fully potty trained and sleeping in undies. My youngest potty trained in 1 week and even wore underwear to his 2nd birthday party. It really depends on the child. If they go to day care, have older siblings, and if they even care about going to the potty.
    Proverbs_31

Answer by Proverbs_31 at 10:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I started when my daughter turned two to get her used to going to the potty and what it was for but I did not make her go. She self trained herself by 2 1/2 she was, she is now 3 and only occasionaly has accidents and she does still sleep with a pull up just in case.
    caseyandolivia

Answer by caseyandolivia at 11:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• i had my 3 trained in 2 - 3 weeks including bedtime, and they never had a bedtime accident and always wore undies. i trained them all the day they turned 2.
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 11:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Hi I'm am getting ready to be amother of 5. Boys seem to be harder to train than girls for some reason. My oldest boy who is 16 took almost 2 years and that is with him going with anyone that had his type of equipment, lol. I finally had one of those old wooden potties that had a tray and he did everything on that potty until he got that mama wasn't playing anymore and he needed to go to the bath room. My 2nd boy took about 6 months to a year and my third baby boy who will be 3 in October just started really potty training last week while I was home from work and has been going every since. I do ask him frequently but he has gotten to the point that he knows and goes on his own, good luck!!!
    mldiggs

Answer by mldiggs at 11:31 AM on Apr. 19, 2011