If you were in my shoes, how would you handle this?

I have two boys of my own, ages 4 and 18 months. I also watch a 4 year old boy full-time Monday through Friday. A friend of mine has also asked me to be a back up sitter for her 2 year old daughter on Tuesdays and Thursdays (so the times I'd have her would never be consistent).

I am working on my certification to become a Labor Doula and have begun searching for clients. I am worried about what to do with the children once I get my business going.

My husband leaves for work around 6:30am, and is home around 6:30pm, so I don't have to worry about back up care outside of those hours if I got called out to a birth.

But during those 12 hours, I am not sure what to do....

Would it be appropriate to have a backup provider come into my home to care for my two boys and the other 2 kids as long as the parents are okay with it? I would then have to worry about transportation for the the 4 year olds come September (for preschool).

I make good money watching these other kids, and probably wouldn't make as much with just being a doula. This is why I am trying to make it work with keeping these other two kids. Otherwise, I would need to just let them go and just worry about hiring a nanny to watch my own two kids when I had to leave for a birth. I don't need the money from watching the kids, and I don't need it from being doula, I am doing them both because I enjoy it.

So if you were in my shoes, how would you handle this?

MichaelsMom330

Asked by MichaelsMom330 at 10:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• If you found someone suitable for the job and the parents were ok with it (and signed a form stating so) then go for it. When things start picking up for you and you get begin to get a lot busier, then I'd reevaluate the situation.
    Renee3K

Answer by Renee3K at 10:59 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I would find 2 back up sitters or nannies that could come in at short notice, provided the parents of the other two are OK with it. They obviously trust you and are comfortable with having you in their lives! Set up a time when they can all meet, so nobody gets blindsided. Chances are that everything will work out great. Thank you for doing what you do!
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 11:02 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What about working with another doula? You could take the nighttime hours and she could do the daytime,, that way a mom would have 2 special ladies to help her,, I think it is going to be super difficult to find someone that can come at a whim, so even if you stopped taking care of the other kiddos, you would have your own to worry about.
    kimigogo

Answer by kimigogo at 11:06 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Maybe you should consider that perhaps this is not the right time to start a doula business. Obviously you are making good money already, and your kids are still very little. What about postponing it until your kids are in school, and then you can devote yourself to being a doula without these concerns. You will have to pay a nanny, which would offset the amount of money you are making now. Just enjoy your kids and the extra money and put the rest off for a little while. :)
    ALeal

Answer by ALeal at 11:11 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I don't see why it would hurt to bring in backups if the parents are ok with it. Good luck!
    lovingmy4babies

Answer by lovingmy4babies at 11:14 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If the other parents were fine with it, I don't see a problem. Also, as long as you don't get overwhelmed yourself :) You have a handful.
    yesmaam

Answer by yesmaam at 11:25 AM on Apr. 19, 2011