Does a recession equal less sex?

I heard someone say that couples were having less sex due to the stress of the recession. Is this true? I mean from your personal experience. You can post anonymously. I just really need to know because you would think that it would be the other way around but I don't know.

vr3star

Asked by vr3star at 1:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Relationships

• Nah, we're having more, when we get stressed it's how we relax..
    haleykarson

Answer by haleykarson at 1:25 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I disagree. We stay at home more so what else is there to do?
    Anonymous

• lol...sort of! Not really because we're stressed, but with the way things are in Michigan right now, my SO had to move out of state to find a good paying stable job...a thousand miles between us kind of puts a damper on our sex life!
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 1:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• That's weird...I've never heard that before. Our sex life and our finances aren't related, at least in my relationship lol.
    caitxrawks

Answer by caitxrawks at 1:28 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• YES!! For the first time in his life, my DH has a wife and child to support and he feels like he is trapped at a job he HATES because he has to keep a paycheck coming in. This has led to a huge decline in his sex drive (just as I'm getting mine back after giving birth). As a woman I *would* think it would be the other way around because we need sex for comfort, but for guys I think the stress of providing in scary times is too much for the libido.
    Fourbymom

Answer by Fourbymom at 1:29 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• In the past when I get stressed in general the sex drive goes out the window. Haven't had that problem lately, but if I were to get stressed about money, I'd have had a stroke by now... I'm always broke.
    figaro8895

Answer by figaro8895 at 2:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• LOL, I don't think it's the recession but I guess It could depend on how stressed you are. I'm personally scraping by at the moment, but for me sex is a great distraction from it!
    hopelessnance

Answer by hopelessnance at 2:27 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I think it plays a huge role. It has in our marriage, we are building a house, have a used car business and I work in real estate..so things are very stressful right now along with having two little ones constantly fighting for attention
    Anonymous

• well we are having less sex and alot of that is my fault. well not fault but descion. i have always been competative with my DH in salary he has always made more but not by much like a dollar or so more now i make 9 an hour and he makes 22 an hour and he works 40 hours a week and i only work 20. so i feal like im not carrying my weight and then i dont feel usefull and then it jsut brings me down so im not fealing sexy so i dont want sex i know screwy logic but thats how i work
    jajamama

Answer by jajamama at 1:44 PM on May. 12, 2009

• Yes! I have seen a large decrease in how much time we spend having sex. It's due to stress. We are working, it seems like, 24/7 and are too tired and stressed and do anything else! Life is just not fair!
    annamay85

Answer by annamay85 at 4:22 PM on May. 13, 2009