In dying need of a vehicle.

Hi my CafeMom family,

Is there any place that anyone know where I can get a used car for a little of nothing or even free (I may be dreaming). I recently single mom that have had my share of darkness the last couple of months. My ex-fiance left me with the kids offering no help. I lost my job and car. I have no way to get anywhere. My residence is about 10miles from the nearest bus line and I can't get around to look for a job, take or pick my kids up from school, go to the store, or take care of emergencies if needed. I only have very little cash to pay for the vehicle. Please send me any information.

Thanks

shayj2007

Asked by shayj2007 at 1:30 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Money & Work

• What you can do is call around to your easy loan financial places and see what they have available. A lot of these places have cars they need to get rid of and will sell at next to nothing. Some even make a good deal as far as financing goes. Lots of luck to you. I have a family member in the same boat.. just waiting for her tax return.
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 1:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Check freecycle.org or craigslist.org maybe you can find someone that will let you make small payments on one. I wish you luck.
    sammiesmom2000

Answer by sammiesmom2000 at 2:12 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Also try calling some tow services. If the owner doesn't claim the car they can auction them/sell them. My dd's bf owns a tow service and ppl get great deals on them. You could get a great deal for a couple of hundred bucks but remember that they have no way of guaranteeing a car is in great shape so take a mechanic with you to check it out. They sell them as is.

Answer by admckenzie at 3:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Check with the Salvation Army or United Way. They will be able to tell you who to contact.
    amydh

Answer by amydh at 3:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Well i dont know how much you have, but me and my husband were in the same spot.. Our car got totaled by some guy who hit us, Insurance paid it off but we had no money to get another one. We sueing but we wont get anything for at least a year or so.
    A week ago we picked up a car for $500. its a 1987 Suburban, it older but it runs great all tags and everything are paid and there is nothing wrong with it at all.. My point is, we found it on craigslist.org people are practically selling cars for nothing. We can turn around and sell the Suburban for the least 5 grand because of the work this guy put into it (lift, shocks, rack, paint etc) but my husband really likes it.So if you have a few hundred go and check it out. Keep the car or turn around and sell it and get a new one.
    Also if you need a little money might profile shows how you can make some, not a whole lot but some to help.
    ParkerMommy

Answer by ParkerMommy at 7:14 PM on Dec. 2, 2008