18mo old advice/ time-outs

My daughter is 18mo old and I am looking to see what type of advice or time-out techniques you use with your children when they are not listening. I am not expecting something to work over night.Any and all advice is welcomed and apprieciated!

starglo

Asked by starglo at 1:53 PM on Jul. 10, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• My little girl is 19 month old and we have one spot in the house that we use for time outs, its beside the fishtank and when she gets in time out she sit there no matter what room we are in we go to that spot, at first i had to keep sitting her back down and tell her over and over that we dont hit mommy or what ever she did and after her sitting ther for a few sec i get down on the floor tell her to come her and tell her that what she did was not nice and that i lover her and do hugs and kissies. Now we have been doing that since she was 15 months and now she will sit her whole min and not get up till i come and sit by her, but you cant stop telling her why she is there. Hope this helps.
    hollinicole

Answer by hollinicole at 1:57 PM on Jul. 10, 2008

• My son is 22 months. I put him in time out when he's being cranky and not responding to me. A 1 1/2 year old needs to be told to do something a few times... make sure you get down to her level, look her right in the eye & give her SHORT commands. "Don't touch" will get through to her a lot better than "Do not touch the stove because it is hot and you will burn your fingers and get a booboo." Also, don't choose a place like her dinner seat or her bed as a time-out spot... that could come back to haunt you in the future b/c she will equate bedtime or dinnertime with "bad girl". Good luck.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 6:03 PM on Jul. 10, 2008