How do I balance my work from home job and the family?

I just started my business working from home and I LOVE LOVE LOVE it! I am just curious for those veterans of direct sales and working from home as to how you balance work and your little ones!

BambooPinkCC

Asked by BambooPinkCC at 11:47 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• I didn't do sales, but I tutor online and used to teach online classes. I usually planned it around their sleeping schedules since it didn't really matter when I did my work, but I would also work some when LP was home to help take care of the kids.
    Mom-2-3-Girlz

Answer by Mom-2-3-Girlz at 11:54 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I work from home and what I do is have certain times set aside for 'work' and for 'home' --- like in the morning when the kids are at school it is my time to get busy with housework, dishes, laundry... and then when my hubs gets home it is my 'work' time-- I go in my room close the door and work-- and it is my hubs time to be in charge of the house and kids.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I have worked from home for almost 20 years. When the kids were young (4/5) and once my business was stable I actually did send them to pre-school/babysitter for a few hours a week so I could have a guaranteed "work only" time at least once a week. The other recommendation I would have is to establish a specific "office" area. Kind of a Mom is working area. It also allows you to walk away and be off from work. One of the hardest parts is getting family and friends to recognize there will be times when you are working and not available for every little thing they want. I started because of health issues with my youngest, he is now a college graduate and I am still working away, my office is a separate room in the basement and at the end of a work day I close the door and have my family time.

emptynstr

Answer by emptynstr at 12:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Thank you for all your great answers! I have a 14 month old and a 4 year old so it is tough! I do not want to send them to a sitter because that is why I am staying at home but maybe I should consider it a few times a week. You guys are great thank you so much!
    Hugs
    Carley
    BambooPinkCC

Comment by BambooPinkCC (original poster) at 12:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Great ideas here and make sure that you have a cut off time for work each day to have your family time. I had a business out of my home for years and made sure work was over at a certain time each day and I did not sneak back to it when it was supposed to be family time. It took awhile to train myself but eventually it became routine. GL
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 1:25 PM on Apr. 19, 2011