How do you get a picky toddler to eat different foods?

We are trying to get our 2 1/2 year old to try different foods, but she has her favorites and that is all she wants. Does anyone have suggestions or ways you got your kids to try something new.

malibumom1

Asked by malibumom1 at 11:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Keep offering them to her in different forms.
    CraftingMama

Answer by CraftingMama at 11:51 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Make them attractive to her eyes, fun shapes, etc.

Answer by older at 11:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Offer different foods that are healthy. Don't offer the same foods. Maybe one her favs and everything else new.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 11:52 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Simply make them available. Usually out of curiosity they will try them. Don't expect her to jump at all of them but just offer them. I heard a pediatrician say it may take 15 or 20 times of offering it before they even try it. If it's important to you then keep trying. Just make sure she takes vitamins meanwhile.

Answer by admckenzie at 11:55 AM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I saw a study they did once on one of the new shows where they took children's food and offered it to them to see what they would choose. They out a banana next to a cupcake and kids chose the cupcake. But they took a banana and put Spongebob stickers all over the peel, and put it next to a plain cupcake (no sprinkles, etc) and the kids mostly chose the banana. So other than a battle of wills with a toddler, I think it's easiest to try to make the food more appealing. Sandwiches cut into shapes with a cookie cutter, a pancake with strawberry eyes and a banana mouth, etc. Last night my DD didn't want to eat her applesauce, and she likes applesauce, so I put a pinch of sprinkles in it and she gobbled it right up. It was so few sprinkles that the bad outweighed the good and it got her to eat. I also bribe her by saying she has to take at least one bite of everything before she can get dessert so she at least gets a taste.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 12:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Make them look fun and allow her to help where she can :D
    TexasMama2Boys

Answer by TexasMama2Boys at 10:32 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Cute them into cute shapes like hearts and stuff, do fun dinner themes, give awards for eating all of her foods, get the cute little animal shaped plates/spoons etc. make dinner fun she'll come along and eat the food.
    jenkinswife2011

Answer by jenkinswife2011 at 12:00 PM on Apr. 20, 2011

• Thank you all for these great suggestions- The funny thing is we took her on a min vacation this week and she started eating a lot of different things- If thats all it took was a change of scenery we would have done that along time ago. I have a friend who is also going thru the same thing and I am going to share all of these with her. Thanks again you are all really great!
    malibumom1

Comment by malibumom1 (original poster) at 11:02 AM on Apr. 23, 2011