• In the Spotlight:

Trying to convince husband to move from mother's home?

My husband and I are both 31 years old. We have two sons, one is 5 1/2 and the other just turned two. I have been trying to convince him that its time to save up more money and move out of his mother's house. I think that he doesn't want to and wants to live there forever. I want my own home not even owning one but even renting one would be fine. I want my own things, my own family traditions and so on. He works full time and I am working part time right now, I am also finishing up medical billing and coding classes and have to then take a certification exam to get a job. I would even be willing to work overnight in a local hospital's Emergency Room just to make extra money. What else could I do to get him to listen to me and see my side?

Wiccangirl24

Asked by Wiccangirl24 at 12:02 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Money & Work

• I wish I had an answer, we're living with my in-laws at the moment ourselves and I keep trying to get my husband to see we're financially stable enough to find a cheap (not IDEAL, but CHEAP!) place of our own because living here with his parents, his siblings, and his sister's two kids is destroying me. I wish you the best of luck!
    dream-catcher

Answer by dream-catcher at 12:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• There is nothing you really can do. I personally started up my own business and make money with PrePaid Legal from home. It's money that my husband knows about, but you would be able to do it, and when you had enough you could present him with the facts. I make 2000 a month that's enough to at least pay rent and provide for 1 or 2 bills (depending on the cost in your area). And you can only grow from there! Check out my site to see if it's something you think you could do. http://kimberlybishop.buildlastingsuccess.com then you have the facts down in front of him and the only thing holding him back would be his own insecurity about leaving the nest. In which case you need to decide what you will do from there.
    kbishop8688

Answer by kbishop8688 at 12:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Your post doesnt really say if the Mother is living there as well... just that you're in her house.
    BUT if the mother is there.... you need to get out if its financially able to. I've seen WAY to many relationships and marriages crumble to the ground by living with parents.
    Has your husband ever been out of the house on his own???
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 12:44 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Oh yeah its his mom, the two of us and our kids. We fight continuously,and sometimes I think that leaving him there and take the kids with me is the best thing. I don't want it to come to that.
    Wiccangirl24

Comment by Wiccangirl24 (original poster) at 1:23 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• IDK, I dumped my last boyfriend because I saw that he was never going to cut the umbilical cord.
    Candi1024

Answer by Candi1024 at 1:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sometimes that's what I want to do. I don't feel that with living here he will grow up. Its just hard with the lack of money right now. I am willing to do anything to earn extra money to move out/
    Wiccangirl24

Comment by Wiccangirl24 (original poster) at 1:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• If you figure it out, could you let me know? We’re a family of 5 living in DH’s grandparents’ house. It’s a duplex and his aunt lives upstairs. We have NO room and I’m sick of feeling like I’m always being watched.
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 2:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• What is his reason for not having a place of your own? Do you have a spending problem as a couple? Where does the money go? Or is he just really dependent on his Mommy still - so it's a marriage problem. Determine what the issue is, speak the truth to your husband in love and see what happens.
    mrslabel

Answer by mrslabel at 4:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Oh man! I would tell him I am getting that job at the hospital to save up for a place for me and the kids!
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 6:07 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I try to organize money and bills. I want to open a separate account to put extra money into it to save up for our own place. He gives every excuse in the book in order to not do it. I don't know what to do anymore.
    Wiccangirl24

Comment by Wiccangirl24 (original poster) at 8:05 AM on Apr. 20, 2011