how do you know if your baby has asthma/allergies?

just wondering how you can tell if your baby has asthma/allergies? my baby is 2mths old and idk if he has anything or not

sprtchic13

Asked by sprtchic13 at 1:43 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• You could try taking them to the doctor and there is a allergy test they can do, however I think you have to be at least 3 years old to have one. My daughter used to get sick once a month when she was an infant and I always asked if it could be allergies and they always told me that infants are too young to have allergies.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 1:48 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Listening to the chest to hear "weezing". A hitch pitch whistle or rasp.
    I have life long asthma and I had my 1st attact at 2 months old so that was my doctors indication I had asthma.
    sassy_brizzy

Answer by sassy_brizzy at 2:26 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• Why are you wondering? Is he wheezing? Babies don't usually develope allergies until they are at least 6 months old... and usually older. And with asthma... they usually don't call any wheezing in an infant asthma because they are too young... unless there is a very stong family history young children can have asthma like symptoms because they have such a small airway -wheezing and trouble breathing with colds and such... but they usually outgrow it by age 5. SO before then they call it reactive airway disease.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:19 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• he makes noises when he has his formula. like he is not getting enough air. also when he sleeps he makes wierd noises but im not sure why. and just recently he started to 'squeal" a lil then start crying for really no reason but it only lasts for a few min. he's not colicky nor ever was (lucky me).
    sprtchic13

Answer by sprtchic13 at 10:19 AM on Dec. 5, 2008

• I'm having the same problem right now and I'm pretty sure it's allergies. And babies can have allergies young at age, mine is almost 4 months. But you said "he makes noises when he has his formula" this sounds like you needs to talk to the ped. about switching he could be allergic.
    starbucks_mama

Answer by starbucks_mama at 2:24 AM on Jan. 5, 2009