Canned Meat

Do you use canned meat? I see so much of it at the grocery store and I just can't bring myself to think this is something I wish to purchase. I don't even buy canned tuna. We eat tuna, but it's always in steaks or fillets. If you use canned meat, what do you do with it?

Dr.Donna

Asked by Dr.Donna at 12:26 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Food & Drink

• Just tuna, but *gag!*
    Imogine

Answer by Imogine at 12:28 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• sometimes tuna but i often buy the chicken and make chicken salad and wrap it in cresent rolls. pretty good.
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Since we have decided to eat more healthier I only buy Tuna in a can and everything else is fresh meat, no more can meat for us.
    tgeary

Answer by tgeary at 12:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I do buy the canned chunk chicken and make chicken salad (for sandwiches), I also put it in casseroles and some dishes that call for cut up chicken. I buy the canned ham sometimes (little round tin) and make ham salad for sandwiches. Sometimes I get tuna, for tuna fish sandwiches or tuna casserole.
    MizLee

Answer by MizLee at 12:30 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I buy the canned chicken to make chicken spread for sandwiches sometimes.
    Frogbaby83

Answer by Frogbaby83 at 12:31 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes. We buy canned chicken and beef from Costco. The chicken is delicious and low in fat. We use it for chicken salad sandwiches but I also toss it in other stuff if I want some meat in it but don't have any chicken cooked up or don't feel like cooking it (like in pasta sauce, casseroles, stuff like that).
    We get the canned beef to make stroganoff. It's so much easier and cheaper than buying steak and cooking it up. And it's just as yummy.
    justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 12:35 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Is the chicken over-cooked? Do the canned products have lots of salt added or other additives? The whole thing just seems really strange to me. Maybe I ought to check out the chicken.
    Dr.Donna

Comment by Dr.Donna (original poster) at 12:37 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• swanson brand has the heart healthy logo on it
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Eeeks! I just looked up the ingredients to Tyson's canned chicken. They are, "Chicken Meat, Water, Seasoning (Salt, Chicken Broth and Flavors), Modified Food Starch, Sodium Phosphate". Swanson's is the same, and it looks like the tuna has a lot of additives, too. Beef has something called sodium erythrobate - I've never heard of that one. I think I'm just going to stick with regular meat and skip the canned. Thanks for your in-put ladies!

Dr.Donna

Comment by Dr.Donna (original poster) at 12:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• NO yuck
    sarasmommy777

Answer by sarasmommy777 at 1:03 PM on Apr. 19, 2011