Fitness buffs! Exercise and appetite question

I'm trying really hard to turn over a new leaf and be healthier. I have cut out 90% of the junk food I sometimes eat, and have added exercise 4 days a week for 30 minutes, pretty high intensity (I'm drenched in sweat by the time I'm done, but not so tired I can't handle the rest of the day).

My problem now is that the exercising has increased my appetite like crazy. I try my best to resist, but I end up just HAVING to eat, and I crave carbs like crazy.

My question is will this stop? Or will I always have a crazy appetite while I'm working out? And if it's not going to end, how on earth am I going to lose weight? I want this to be a lifestyle change for me, and I can see myself sticking to it, but I don't want to have to eat every 20 minutes for the rest of my life lol.

Ati_13

Asked by Ati_13 at 12:36 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Health

• working out will increase your appetite. i think they recommend protien after working out. A few small snack throughout the day are ebetter than big meals anyway. You can have apples, a handful of nuts, a glass of milk.

If you are eating fresh veggies you can have a huge meal and still eat less calories than when you were eating junk. I think it will even out after your body adjusts to the new workout. Cut veggies and hav e abowl of fruit, and prewashed grapes ready in the fridge, you will be more likely to grab it out if its already ready!
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 12:41 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• U need to eat every 3 hrs. Not big portions. 1st meal-protein, fruit/veggie n carb, 2nd meal- protein n fruit/veggie, 3rd meal-protein, fruit/veggie n carbs, 4th meal, protein n fruit or veggie. If ur still hungry when it comes time for 5th meal, have a protein shake.
    Good luck!! I went down one dress size in a month w a healthy eating habit, weight training 2 times a week n cardio 3-4 times a week. Nice n toned!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• You are doing great! Congratulations! Yes, if you are working out with the right intensity, you'll be hungrier. And that is a benefit because if you are eating correctly, you can eat more than you did before and STILL lose weight. The key is to eating correctly. I have competed in Miss Fitness competitions (years ago) and I can tell you I could eat like a horse. Here's what you need to focus on. Eat healthy. Mainly protein in the morning with some carbs (complex are best). You can have some simple carbs before you workout and can and should have them after you workout to replace something called glycogen. But limit or cut out the carbs after about 3 pm. Try and focus on protein.
    And always remember, cheating now and again is fine. Go to McDonald's and grab a coke and cheeseburger for lunch if that's what you crave. But don't do it often and don't order the super size.
    You are doing great! Keep it up!
    heat631

Answer by heat631 at 12:49 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I could do every 3 hours. I can wait an hour or two when I get hungry if I know I will be eating soon lol.

Gosh, this healthy thing seems like a full time job in and of itself lol. I spend probably 12 hours a week on food (planning, preparing and cooking), 2 hours a week on exercise, countless hours on thinking about when I should eat, how much water I should drink, etc etc. But I know it will be worth it, and I will get used to it :)
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• it's a myth that working out raises your appetite- i forget the specefics, but i read it in "Shape" the other day, it even went into details about your hormones and whatnot- and how you THINK you have a stronger appetite, but really that's not the case. try to increase your fiber intake and also eat higher protein foods- both leave you satisfied and give you sustained energy.

trust me, i'm doing the EXACT same thing as you (as far as cutting out junk and working out that much), and for the first few days i did feel like i was more hungry often- then i read that article, and it's mind over matter. if i think i'm hungry, i drink a whole water bottle and wait- 9 out of ten times, i realize i'm not really hungry. i only eat three meals a day, and have a bana for a snack, or maybe nuts and raisins. if you truly can't wait or feel like you're hungry, find healthy snacks to much on. i always have a bag of baby carrots in my purse.
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:55 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• also, get the book "Beck Diet Solution For Life: Train Your Brain to Think Like a Thin Person"...i recommend this all the time, it's cheap on amazon- and it's legit, it's about cognitive behavioral therapy to help lose weight. it is a full time job, it's also a mind set and a lifestyle- but worth it when not only the pounds start dropping, but they stay off! good luck and congrats on the progress so far..
    lexi8622

Answer by lexi8622 at 12:57 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Definitely drink 8 glasses of water a day. If it helps, cut ur portions in half n eat every 1.5hr. U CAN DO IT! Ur stomach will get used to the smaller portions!
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:10 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Protein! And congrats on getting healthier, that's awesome!
    1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:11 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I don't know what you read, Lexi, but you actually DO get hungrier. Now that you are working out, your body is like a furnace burning hot. It needs and begs for more fuel to keep the fire burning. The trick is to keep your caloric intake below your calorie burn. If you are burning more calories than you take in, you'll lose weight. Period. But moderation is the key. "Healthy" and "skinny" are two different things. What you want is healthy. Eat well. Exercise hard. And enjoy the ride to health and smaller dress sizes!

Oh, also, you should NEVER lose more than 1-2 pounds per week. If you are losing more than that then you are doing something unhealthy. And when you hit a plateau where you don't lose weight (and you will), don't let it get you down. Keep pushing on.
    heat631

Answer by heat631 at 1:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yeah, I had never experienced the appetite boost before when I started exercising that I noticed (I used to work out a lot as a teenager), and then I started this and I couldn't stop eating. I had no idea what was going on and even took a pregnancy test because I was freaked out lol. There is no doubt that it absolutely DOES increase appetite.

Heat, I'm not planning on weighing myself lol. I don't own a scale, I'm doing this to be healthier and set a good example for my children. I know I'm overweight (had a doctor's appointment last Thursday), and so I DO want to get down a few pounds, but I will measure my success by my energy levels, my fitness levels and my eating habits. I have no intention of losing more than 2 pounds a week. According to an online calculator, because I'm breastfeeding I can consume 2,379 calories per day and lose a pound a week lol. Woot!
    Ati_13

Comment by Ati_13 (original poster) at 1:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011