How would you have it, if you were in these shoes?

Right now I still have my first husbands last name.
I have a son(4 y/o) from my first marriage, which he has the same last name.
The last name is Allen.

I am fixing to get married again, and I am unsure of how I should have my new name...
I also have a daughter from the man that I am about to marry, which has his last name..
The last name is Woods.

I am afraid that if I just do the one last name (Woods), that my son might feel disconnected from the family, since he would be the only one who didn't have the (Woods) name.

That is why the thought came to mind to have my last name read: Allen-Woods.
And have both of them, but I know that is weird, and soon to be hubby isnt to keen on the idea.

I am also enlisting in the military, so how would it read if I did both last names? Would it just show the current Woods, or the Allen-Woods?

allen.moriahd

Asked by allen.moriahd at 12:42 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in General Parenting

• Last names do not make kids feel disconnected from the family.. It is how your treat the child.

Answer by louise2 at 12:46 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• When I divorced my first husband I went back to my maiden name. Kids still had his last name. When I remarried I did not change my name. It's just a name.
    meooma

Answer by meooma at 12:50 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I'm remarried. I have my new husband's last name. My older two (from my first marriage) have their dad's name. The baby has the same last name as his dad (new DH) and me. It's not weird to us. And we're certainly not the only family with a variety of last names.

1smartcookie

Answer by 1smartcookie at 1:21 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Being that kid.....it was never a big deal. There are 4 of us, 2 with the same last name and then 2 of us have different last names, my mom kept my fathers last name (I am the oldest) it was never a problem for any of us....although it could be confusing at times.
    luckysevenwow

Answer by luckysevenwow at 2:43 PM on Apr. 19, 2011