Behavior problems with a 7 year old, really need some ideas.

My oldest is 7 and has pretty bad behavior problems, from the time he was 2 years old. His lying and hiding things is getting worse and he takes NO responsibility for anything, everything is always someone else's fault. I have done time out, I have grounded him, he has had all privilege's removed, he has written lines and even done book reports at home. I feel like I have exhausted all efforts. What else can I do?  He was in counseling and nothing came of it, he has no diagnosed problems.  I'm at a loss. 

amazinggrace83

Asked by amazinggrace83 at 12:45 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I am in the same situation with my 7 yr. old son.. He is doing all of what yours is and also is getting in trouble at school. I have tried everything, and I am not sure what is going on.. So when you find something, please let me know :)
    ProudMommie87

Answer by ProudMommie87 at 12:48 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Sounds like my son, but there is ADHD and things with him.
    VintageWife

Answer by VintageWife at 12:58 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Did u also attend counseling? I definitely don't want to sound like I'm blaming u! I'm only asking because sometimes the issues we have transpire on to our children in other ways. When I was teaching I would tell parents, I don't mean to be nosey but if there are issues at home, please let me know because they will most likely reflect in the classroom. Try going to counseling yourself. I know it can be stressful for u to see ur child struggle. Also, look into positive parenting classes. Sometimes kids who misbehave get mr neg attention than pos which continues the pattern.
    Another thing, don't make him hate schoolwork by giving it to him as a punishment. That will come back n bite u in the butt.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 12:59 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Skip the therapist, pursue a psychologist, and schedule an appointment with your pediatrician, just to discuss his behavior. I think this shows that it's a REAL problem, and not just something to mention when he has a well-child visit.

Just because one therapist says there is nothing wrong, please don't give up. Your child depends on you to help him. You might want to mention that this behavior is affecting his relationship with other people, adults and peers, alike. Say things like "No adult wants the responsibility of watching him because of the things he does ." and "He has no friends because of this." This shows that it's asocial problem, and that it's not that the problem lies with you, as a parent. Sometimes drs. think that the parent needs a break, and that there are no real problems with a child...Lying is normal at that age, but if it is affecting his self-esteem, then it's a real problem.
    Kauna

Answer by Kauna at 1:01 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I attended half of his counseling sessions with him. I'm not sure about that lady at all but I did try that. His father and I are divorced and he lives with me, his step-dad and baby brother. He has improved tons since I have been with my DH, but this regression thing pops up from time to time. I'm not giving up on him for sure, I want to help him but it doesn't seem that anything works. He loves school work so I have not ruined it for him lol, he is also EXTREMELY smart, ( and not just because I am his mom lol).
    amazinggrace83

Comment by amazinggrace83 (original poster) at 1:08 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• take him to another doctor and get another opinion about what may be going on
    Christmaslver68

Answer by Christmaslver68 at 12:53 PM on Apr. 22, 2011