Has anyone ever had to have an MRI done on your baby?

My youngest was born with a very tiny Sacral Dimple. It is unclear how far it goes up and if it is into the spine. :(
We waited until he turned 6 months, with the pediatrician always checking for changes..and nothing ever changed...and the floor of it still can not be seen.
So..we have to take him in for an MRI.
He has to be sedated.
I am really really freaking out about this.
I don't know if I can go through with it.
Has anyone ever had to have thier baby have a MRI and if so...how did it go?
Thankyou.

kimberlyinberea

Asked by kimberlyinberea at 1:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I first wanted to say Good luck to you and your family. Stay strong for your little one, everything will be okay! Hugs to you!!
    TsMommy428

Answer by TsMommy428 at 1:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I had to have my infant daughter sedated for several procedures; yes, it was scary but it all worked out.

Thinking of you. Hang in there.
    Anonymous

• She wasn't an infant, but she was my baby at the time - my 3rd DD had one done at 20 months. She did fine with it.
    Anonymous

• DD has a sacral dimple. Now that she's 9mo old you can see the floor of it. Sometimes it just happens with no cause :( I hope you baby is ok. Going under is more scary for mommy than for baby, just be there to hug and cuddle when he comes around becuase they kind of feel like crap :(
    2Hopefull

Answer by 2Hopefull at 5:52 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• my daughter had an MRI and she was just fine.. it took her hours to fully wake up! which was okay but the MRI is there to figure out whats going on with the body it will only help your child! :) good luck
    3HappylKidds

Answer by 3HappylKidds at 5:54 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• As the Medical Education Director for an MRI clinic, as well as a brand new mum, I'd like to offer my perspective on your question regarding infant MRI.

Firstly, the reason for sedation is simply to attain the very best images possible from the scan. MRI works with a combination of a magnetic field, radio waves and computer technology to generate the images. As a result, the "patient" needs to remain entirely still while the scan is taking place. As it is impossible to ask a baby to do this, the best solution is sedation. The technicians will then be able to position your baby in the appropriate way and garner the images as quickly as possible, resulting in high quality images. MRI is extremely safe, as there is no radiation involved.

While a worry for you, your baby will be just fine and you will gain the answers you need. To see what happens during an MRI, you may find this video helpful www.canmagnetic.com/patient-info/
    CanMagnetic

Answer by CanMagnetic at 2:29 PM on Apr. 20, 2011