Only lost the actual baby's weight

When I got home from the hospital, I weighted myself and I only lost 6 pounds of the 45 pounds of pregnancy weight. ( The baby weighted 5 lbs. 8oz. Two wks early ). It has been 3 months since I gave birth, and I still haven't lost anything ( breastfeeding: pumping good amount every 4hrs due to poor latch), walking when I can.... I thought I would lose more than this. I feel bigger than when I was pregnant.( need to lose 53 to be in ibw) Has this happened to anyone. Im extremely depressed about it....

Spunkeynoodle

Asked by Spunkeynoodle at 1:00 PM on Apr. 19, 2011 in Diet & Fitness

• yes it did but I gained alot of weight with my first child over 80 lbs, but some of your weight may be due to breast tissue since u are breastfeeding and still have some swelling, itll be ok though you'll get it off just have to exercise and eat right. GL
    rhonda111787

Answer by rhonda111787 at 1:09 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Yes, I actually gained 30 lbs in the year or so after having my son. Breastfeeding led to a voracious, insatiable appetite. I've only in the last year lost that (DS is 2 1/2 now), and more (as I was overweight to begin with). For some women, breastfeeding leads to melting off the pounds, but for others, the body holds onto the fat to make sure the baby is sufficiently fed, and it has nothing to do with your starting weight. I think it's more individual than that. All you can do is keep working at it, make good food choices, stay active, and keep nursing your child for however long you plan to. Hopefully, as the baby gets older and starts nursing less and less, you will have an easier time letting the weight go. I think it made a big difference for me, but frankly, nursing was more important to me than losing the weight right away. I wouldn't change that! =)
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 1:29 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• Me too! I never lost it all.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 8:14 PM on Apr. 19, 2011

• I gained 40 lbs when i was pregnant. Only lose 11 lbs after the baby, it was depressing. So i pretty much starved myself after i quit breast feeding! I lost but 3 lbs of it 3 months after the baby. Im tiny and not used to seeing myself not fit in size 00 dress and i was super depressed. Ended up taking anti-depressant pills that im gladly off taking them now. I say just take your time, enjoy the baby dont worry about losing the baby weight. Baby grow up so fast and next thing you know your baby is crawling. Dont waste your time worrying about how to lose weight, you'll eventually lose it all
    Kglick27

Answer by Kglick27 at 8:22 PM on Apr. 19, 2011