How do you know when a 16 mth. old is full if she always wants to eat?

My daughter constantly wants to eat. I can feed her a good meal for breakfast and twenty minutes later when I go to eat she wants my food. I hate saying "no you already ate." I have no idea when to know that she is full and when to stop feeding her. Please help...Lol my daughter is a mini pig lol

numbr3onway

Asked by numbr3onway at 1:53 PM on Dec. 2, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I would just allow her to eat when she is hungry. If she just ate and wants a snack again then I would just make sure it's a healthy snack. Keep lots of fruit or wheat crackers and things like that on hand so she always has a nice healthy snack right there when she wants it.
    asholan_07

Answer by asholan_07 at 1:55 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I totally agree with the other lady. I have a 15 month old and all she dose is eat from the time she gets’ up till the time that she go’s to bed. The doc told me that it go’s in stages and not to really worry about it that it dose not mean that she will be a over eater. Just give her things that are good for her.
    kristyleigh614

Answer by kristyleigh614 at 2:16 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• I'd let her eat. My dd loves to eat what I'm eating *just b/c I am eating it*. If she's not hungry, she will only have a few bites and move on. She loves to snack all day. She eats anything and everything and is still tiny! As long as she is growing well and eating healthy, I would let her munch.
    ferdo0204

Answer by ferdo0204 at 4:13 PM on Dec. 2, 2008

• They are going through a lot of changes at that age my oldest (3) did that when he was that age and I let him eat but ONLY healthy things after a main meal. Like Apples, Banana's and granola, or yogurt and granola. Things like that. Also my mom told me to try warm oval-tine. It has less sugar than regular chocolate milk and sits longer and heavier in their tummies which keeps them fuller. Now with my youngest I learned not to give him sugar cereal like fruit loops or anything. Its winter fill them up on oatmeal with real fruit and it will cut back on the extra snacking. Cold cereals are full of simple sugars which wear off in less then an hour and will make them hungry faster. Your body needs and craves complex sugars to store in your body for the day as well as Carbs and Protein. So PB and J is a great meal with pretzels.

EMTmom119

Answer by EMTmom119 at 7:23 PM on Dec. 2, 2008